Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
21 - 22 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
867 Posts
I''m new to this forum and just encountered this reply to a question. I hope not too many members here are this unpleasant and judgmental.
A lot of us in this forum and others like it have years of experience with dogs and strong opinions. If you're going to benefit from being here, you have to be able to read a post you disagree with and consider the advice with as open a mind as you can. If it's truly not something you could do or something you disagree with as strongly as the one who recommended it believes in it, you shrug it off and go on. If you really find a particular poster never has anything to offer that's useful to you or puts things in a way you find unpleasant, you can put them on ignore and never see their posts.

I think most of us try to couch things without coming across judgmental, but of course we fail sometimes, and in truth sometimes it's really hard. I think of giving up on dog forums regularly because too many posts upset me, not because I think they're unpleasant or judgmental, but because they tell me about dogs being treated in ways that bother me. The desire to avoid vet bills by getting internet advice, for instance, although this forum forbids that, thank goodness.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Isn't your response exactly what you are accusing the other poster of doing?

More people SHOULD provide exactly the type of advice that @Khecha Wacipi has given. If someone is not willing to put in the time and effort to train a puppy then they should not get a puppy. As many of the regular posters on this forum have done and currently do fostering for rescue groups and shelters, we tend to see the after effects of people unwilling to put that effort into their dogs.
No, I disagree, I think the poster was unpleasant and judgemental to someone who obviously cares about their pet, otherwise they wouldn't be here on this forum asking for help. I think everyone deserves basic respect and being given the benefit of the doubt. It's p
A lot of us in this forum and others like it have years of experience with dogs and strong opinions. If you're going to benefit from being here, you have to be able to read a post you disagree with and consider the advice with as open a mind as you can. If it's truly not something you could do or something you disagree with as strongly as the one who recommended it believes in it, you shrug it off and go on. If you really find a particular poster never has anything to offer that's useful to you or puts things in a way you find unpleasant, you can put them on ignore and never see their posts.

I think most of us try to couch things without coming across judgmental, but of course we fail sometimes, and in truth sometimes it's really hard. I think of giving up on dog forums regularly because too many posts upset me, not because I think they're unpleasant or judgmental, but because they tell me about dogs being treated in ways that bother me. The desire to avoid vet bills by getting internet advice, for instance, although this forum forbids that, thank goodness.
Thank you for your kind reply and advice.
I think the problem is, in today's cultural and political climate, the internet has become a place for people to project their unconscious frustrations onto others behind the safety of a screen. I find myself doing this too. I care about my pets and often feel the need seek opinions from people who don't have a financial interest in me as a potential customer, who are willing to share their own experiences. But much of the internet has become very toxic, I'm sensitive and easily triggered by certain personality types. I really can't stand virtue signaling, and critical, judgmental attitudes. Even if someone does have a lot of experience, there is no need for arrogance and disrespect.

I did use the ignore function, and probably shouldn't have responded to begin with. But I've decided to delete my account and find another forum which I may be a better match with.

21 - 22 of 22 Posts