Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 10, almost 11, week old female shihpoo puppy. I got her when she was 9 weeks. I am currently training her to use an indoor potty (college student, dorms, apartment, etc, it's just easier for me). She is 100% potty trained to go #2(馃挬) on it, but NEVER goes #1(馃挦) on it!!!! Does anyone know how to correct this? She doesn't seem to care. She will run across the house to go #2 on it, but if it is #1, she just goes. I've tried picking her up as soon as possible and placing her on it, praising when she goes on it, and either scolding or ignoring the behavior when she doesn't. Nothing is working.
I have wall-to-wall carpeting in my current house, so she mainly stays in an enclosure I made that the floor is puppy pads (i do let her out and run). I have no clue why she isn't going #1 on the potty...
Please help me...
(Here's a picture of her)
Dog Carnivore Dog breed Companion dog Sleeve

Registered
My first suggestion is to go at the potty training in an entirely different way. Using potty pads indoors is actually not a good idea at all. You say that it is for your convenience, but it is the dog's best interests that need to be a priority for y ou. If you train this dog to potty indoors on the pads, and then move to a new situation where you want her to go outside, (which is very likely to happen if you are in college), re-training her will be very challenging for the dog, who will be confused and upset by the change. It will also probably take a long time to change that in her, will take a huge amount of patience on your part while you clean up messes, and you will find that to be far, far more inconvenient than just training her the right way right now.

Potty train her to go outside only and you will not have those issues.
If taking a puppy outside to go potty is too inconvenient for you, I question whether or not you really should have a puppy at this time in your life.

A puppy needs to be taken outside to potty frequently and praised for doing it outside, and should never be encouraged to potty #1 or #2 inside.

Registered
Portuguese Water Dog
Welcome to the fun world of puppies!

You are dealing with a baby, the fact that she appears to be 100% good with #2 is enough to celebrate. Be consistent and be patient. Also the puppy needs activities not just #1 n #2.

I had dogs all my life but after some loses decided I needed to take a minute and grieve... this year got a puppy and reminded me of how much attention and patience they require, get yourself a mantra for moments of despair. I repeat to myself many many times Puppies are fun, Puppies are fun, Puppies are fun. and then procede to clean the floor or put a band aid on my arm, or throw away the chewed up whatever. But I'm starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel, he's 6 months old now and things are truly looking up, still I know I have about 6 to 12 more months before I can lower my guard

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My first suggestion is to go at the potty training in an entirely different way. Using potty pads indoors is actually not a good idea at all. You say that it is for your convenience, but it is the dog's best interests that need to be a priority for y ou. If you train this dog to potty indoors on the pads, and then move to a new situation where you want her to go outside, (which is very likely to happen if you are in college), re-training her will be very challenging for the dog, who will be confused and upset by the change. It will also probably take a long time to change that in her, will take a huge amount of patience on your part while you clean up messes, and you will find that to be far, far more inconvenient than just training her the right way right now.

If taking a puppy outside to go potty is too inconvenient for you, I question whether or not you really should have a puppy at this time in your life.

A puppy needs to be taken outside to potty frequently and praised for doing it outside, and should never be encouraged to potty #1 or #2 inside.
So first off, potty training for an indoor potty is actually very common and convenient. Second, I'm not training her on puppy pads. As I stated, I have wall-to-wall carpeting and can't have it stained with piss, so her TEMPORARY enclosure has a floor of puppy pads with the potty in it. Third, just because I don't want to have to go outside every 30 mins does not mean I am a bad pet owner. She is perfectly happy and healthy. In fact, she hates the outdoors. I don't mind cleaning it. I don't let my cats outside to piss, or my rabbit, so why should I with her. She is already leash trained and knows commands as well. She is an ESA so indoor potties are very useful. If your comment does not contain any information to help me with my situation in my preferred way, then don't reply to my question. Have a nice day.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Welcome to the fun world of puppies!

You are dealing with a baby, the fact that she appears to be 100% good with #2 is enough to celebrate. Be consistent and be patient. Also the puppy needs activities not just #1 n #2.

I had dogs all my life but after some loses decided I needed to take a minute and grieve... this year got a puppy and reminded me of how much attention and patience they require, get yourself a mantra for moments of despair. I repeat to myself many many times Puppies are fun, Puppies are fun, Puppies are fun. and then procede to clean the floor or put a band aid on my arm, or throw away the chewed up whatever. But I'm starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel, he's 6 months old now and things are truly looking up, still I know I have about 6 to 12 more months before I can lower my guard
So, of course my puppy is getting exercise and has activities to do. She isn't locked away all the time. I immediately clean it up and spray it with a repellent. I'll be bringing it up with my trainer and vet as well. Thanks.

Super Moderator
Your puppy is an infant and doesn鈥檛 have control of her bladder yet. By the time she knows she needs to go, she鈥檚 going already. She won鈥檛 have any real control until she鈥檚 at least 6 months, and won鈥檛 have full control until she鈥檚 about 1 year old. You need to keep her on a schedule and bring her to her potty place regularly. As soon as she wakes up, and throughout the day, how frequently will depend on your pup鈥檚 needs, but I鈥檇 start with every hour and fine tune from there. And do not ever scold your puppy for accidents. All that will do is teach her that it鈥檚 scary to pee in front of you, and make training even harder. If she has an accident, it鈥檚 because you weren鈥檛 watching closely enough and didn鈥檛 get her to her potty spot fast enough.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Your puppy is an infant and doesn鈥檛 have control of her bladder yet. By the time she knows she needs to go, she鈥檚 going already. She won鈥檛 have any real control until she鈥檚 at least 6 months, and won鈥檛 have full control until she鈥檚 about 1 year old. You need to keep her on a schedule and bring her to her potty place regularly. As soon as she wakes up, and throughout the day, how frequently will depend on your pup鈥檚 needs, but I鈥檇 start with every hour and fine tune from there. And do not ever scold your puppy for accidents. All that will do is teach her that it鈥檚 scary to pee in front of you, and make training even harder. If she has an accident, it鈥檚 because you weren鈥檛 watching closely enough and didn鈥檛 get her to her potty spot fast enough.
I've watched her straight for 5 hours once and she pees every 10 minutes about 3 times... I cannot watch her 24/7 and put her on the potty every 10 minutes. She does have control because she has been in a carrier / kennel for over 2 hours and held it, so she has control. She will squat about 5 times in a row every 5-10 minutes and sometimes pees a little, a lot, or none at all. I don't want to keep her cooped up in the small enclosure either until she learns. (I have wall-to-wall carpeting and cannot be cleaning up pee every 5 seconds).

Registered
Portuguese Water Dog
Your puppy is almost 11 weeks. She suddenly is not with her mom or litter mates , instead now you are her everything. Please keep that in mind. Yes training and consistency is very important but don't forget she is a baby.
There are many ways to raise a happy healthy dog, Your post asked for help, some people here have lots of experience, maybe consider some of the suggestions.
I only know what I'm going thru and so far things are going well, but it hasn't been easy. Even with a backyard and the Atlantic Ocean next us. Our challenge hasn't been potty training but puppyhood present us with different challenges, I wish you good luck.

Super Moderator
I've watched her straight for 5 hours once and she pees every 10 minutes about 3 times... I cannot watch her 24/7 and put her on the potty every 10 minutes. She does have control because she has been in a carrier / kennel for over 2 hours and held it, so she has control. She will squat about 5 times in a row every 5-10 minutes and sometimes pees a little, a lot, or none at all. I don't want to keep her cooped up in the small enclosure either until she learns. (I have wall-to-wall carpeting and cannot be cleaning up pee every 5 seconds).
She is sleeping when in her crate. That is not the same. Puppies her age do not have control, that is a fact. And yes, part of having a puppy is watching them constantly and containing them when you can鈥檛. They are INFANTS. And if she is peeing THAT often, she likely has a URI and needs to see a vet

Registered
... she pees every 10 minutes about 3 times... I cannot watch her 24/7 and put her on the potty every 10 minutes. ... She will squat about 5 times in a row every 5-10 minutes and sometimes pees a little, a lot, or none at all.
If I had a puppy doing that, I'd be at the vet getting her checked for a UTI. It sounds a lot like what one of mine did with an infection.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
She is sleeping when in her crate. That is not the same. Puppies her age do not have control, that is a fact. And yes, part of having a puppy is watching them constantly and containing them when you can鈥檛. They are INFANTS. And if she is peeing THAT often, she likely has a URI and needs to see a vet
That is when she is in a car. She isn't crate trained. She does have control because she knows when she needs to go #2 and will move her body to the correct spot. She goes to the vet in a week, she'll be fine. It's not red.

Registered
A UTI doesn't turn the urine red. Even if there's blood (which happened to me when one of my girls got a UTI when she was on her way out of heat and I stupidly thought the symptoms were part of her heat), the urine doesn't turn red. You just see blood in the urine.

Registered
Oh, and this is just my belief from observation, of course, but I've raised a lot of puppies -- they don't equate peeing and defecating as the same thing. The puppy I have now never once from the day I brought him home defecated in the house. He did pee in the house until, hmm from memory, somewhere between 4 and 5 months old.

I even think some of the people who train their dogs to go on command use different words for the two functions.

Registered
My dog poops and pees on cue. "Get Busy" for pee and "Poop Poop" for poop. Not very original, but it works.

Dogs with UTI's do not present with the same symptoms as a human. Blood is not always present!

You have received some excellent information here about puppy house training, yet you resist this advice. It almost seems as if you want a magic potion.. feed this to the puppy and "poof" potty training is done in two to three weeks.

That is not how it works! As a child in diapers does not learn to use a toilet until older and is unreliable about doing so even when learning, so your puppy will not learn and be reliable for quite some time.

I am surprised someone would choose to get a dog AND decide to indoor potty train AND have W2W carpeting (a surface that invites a dog to pee on it)... and then get Frustrated when the puppy, a baby, is not potty trained in 2-3 weeks.

Potty training and getting reliability takes 6 months to a year.

Good luck.

Registered
Her urine is not red. She just drinks water every 10 seconds. She goes to the vet next week for her shots.
A urinary tract infection does not turn the urine red. So that is not telling you anything.

If she is drinking that much water and acting as you describe, it is very possible she has a UTI. Make sure that they take a urine sample (or take one with you) and test for that.

And I agree with what 3GSD41PO says above. You have asked for advice, gotten good advice, and reply with resistance, as if you already know everything. This is not how to solve the issue about which you wrote in this forum. We are here to help but cannot help if the advice given is resisted. You need to be patient with this puppy and not expect too much so soon.

Registered

I''m new to this forum and just encountered this reply to a question. I hope not too many members here are this unpleasant and judgmental.

Registered
Cat-dog, GSD spayed female and Tornado-dog, JRT mix, neutered male
I''m new to this forum and just encountered this reply to a question. I hope not too many members here are this unpleasant and judgmental.
Isn't your response exactly what you are accusing the other poster of doing?

More people SHOULD provide exactly the type of advice that @Khecha Wacipi has given. If someone is not willing to put in the time and effort to train a puppy then they should not get a puppy. As many of the regular posters on this forum have done and currently do fostering for rescue groups and shelters, we tend to see the after effects of people unwilling to put that effort into their dogs.

Reactions: Khecha Wacipi
1 - 20 of 22 Posts