Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,
I am a first time owner of a French Bulldog of 10 weeks named Frankie. I am in the thick of trying to get him potty trained and I don't have experience doing it with little dogs after always having large breed dogs. He has water with every meal and always available to him throughout the day. I take him out immediately after meals and water breaks, always to the same spot, tell him to "go potty", and praise and pet him when he goes. I try to take him out every 30 minutes or every hour maximum, but sometimes he'll go pee again after we've just been out. I've heard that Frenchie are notorious for being difficult to potty train. Does anyone have advice for potty training a Frenchie or just small dogs in general? Thanks!

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
A lot of dogs pee two or three times before their bladder is actually empty. After he pees, stay outside a while longer to see if he needs to pee again. You also might need to take him out more often.

·
Registered
674 Posts
In addition to giving him more opportunities to empty out, you might want to give him a tiny but super high value treat (bit of cooked chicken, cheese, or such) rather than just rely on petting & praise to reward him. Those things are nice, but... you want him to think going potty outside yields the BEST rewards ever during these beginning days of training.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts