Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We just adopted an 18 month old black lab from the humane society this past weekend. They told us she was potty trained. She did fine the first two days, no accidents or anything. Yesterday and today, she has had two accidents, one each day. The first one was probably because it had been a while since she'd been out. But the second one, she was playing in the living room with the cat, after she had just been out. She goes outside when we take her out with no problems. I can't tell if she's also going in the room where she's staying during the day and if it just dries before I can find it. We both work all day and are usually gone for 4-6 hours. Is she potty trained and this is just because it's a new house? Or does she need to be re-trained?

·
Registered
4,041 Posts
It is recommended when bringing home a shelter animal that all training the shelter claims the dog has, be ignored, and you start from scratch.
The dog may be fully house trained and just be having accidents - the first one you said yourself was caused by waiting too long between outings and the second sounds like she just got excited. I would go back to the basics anyway though and reinforce that pottying outside is a really, really good thing.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
She's fed on a schedule. She's in the empty guest room when we aren't there, but will only be doing that until this weekend when we get a crate.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts