Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bud still has accidents in the house but that's usually when I go to the restroom or he runs after my other dog to play. Mom bought a kennel as she got fed up with it, it's still aloud in the house but only when I get home from work.. So I need to get this taken care of before winter as the crate broke well bent but still functional(buying a furniture like crate anyway).

I think it has to do with the food schedule, he's 11 weeks right now so I haven't missed the boat yet..

What do you guys recommend for a food/water schedule? My work hrs are from 8-4:30 M-F and most accidents happen when I get caught in a tv program with the family(my fault I know). When he's in my room during the night the accidents very and it happened between 7-9AM and since I didn't work I slept til 10.

I may be feeding him a bit too much as his belly is a bit larger than normal but is still hyper active and I thought it was also breathing issues but he was outside for 3 hrs and it's hot but the kennel is covers with a black plastic cover so there's shade and plenty of water. (could be worms..)

Since I work at 8 should I feed him at 4? and again when I get home? then at 7?

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
I'm a little confused about your hours. 8-4:30 = feeding at 4 and 7?

You both definitely needs a schedule. Bud is young and does not have a mature digestive system. At 11 weeks, I'm up at 5am, potty, feed, potty, then potty about 30-60 minutes later before crating. I arrange for the pup to go out at 10:30-11am and feed around noon-1:30 followed by a 15 minute potty break. Back in the crate and another potty break somewhere between 2-3. I'm home at 5 and its potty, feed, potty. Followed by potty every hour until 11pm.

I have my eye on them every second. If I need to do something, they are in the crate. If they have an accident, that's ok. I clean it up and resume my schedule. As he matures over the next few weeks, you will find that he won't require to be out as often. Maybe every 90 -120 minutes at night when he's 4 -5 months, and 3-4 hours in the crate. For now, putting the extra effort in, will help create a solid habit of going outside.

As far as food, it's hard to say without knowing the breed, current size/weight and what you're feeding.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm a little confused about your hours. 8-4:30 = feeding at 4 and 7?

You both definitely needs a schedule. Bud is young and does not have a mature digestive system. At 11 weeks, I'm up at 5am, potty, feed, potty, then potty about 30-60 minutes later before crating. I arrange for the pup to go out at 10:30-11am and feed around noon-1:30 followed by a 15 minute potty break. Back in the crate and another potty break somewhere between 2-3. I'm home at 5 and its potty, feed, potty. Followed by potty every hour until 11pm.

I have my eye on them every second. If I need to do something, they are in the crate. If they have an accident, that's ok. I clean it up and resume my schedule. As he matures over the next few weeks, you will find that he won't require to be out as often. Maybe every 90 -120 minutes at night when he's 4 -5 months, and 3-4 hours in the crate. For now, putting the extra effort in, will help create a solid habit of going outside.

As far as food, it's hard to say without knowing the breed, current size/weight and what you're feeding.
Golden Retriever.

What I've been doing.
I'm up at 4, then I take it out, feed it 30 minutes later, potty 20 minutes later(just set an alarm and he'll sleep until it goes off). Come home for lunch, feed, and potty right away(only have 30 minutes so it's in and out and I'll grab some muffins). And when I get home it's feed and potty and generally every 2 hours until I sleep. Plus a 2-3 hr walk usually helps emptying.

I need to buy a new crate anyway, I went too large.. oh well no harm done(only $20). Got it from a friend so just gotta wait til payday, until then I have a kennel outside which is shaded and he can run around the yard (with a 30 foot leash attached)

My sisters home so he does get to have some food between 10-11 before I get home from lunch.

If there is any accidents(there's been a few) is usually at night when I'm sound asleep, doesn't bother just clean it up and shampoo after work.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Buddysfriend .

Please give more information about your dog , for example: weight , breed , Vet history including vaccinations and how many times wormed if any.

What dog food wet/dry do you feed and amount.

3doglady has given solid advice , and , others may offer advice also.

oldhounddog

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
I'd feed your puppy right after taking him out in the morning - don't wait. That way, you'll have time to take the puppy out before going to work, b/c the food will have time to partially digest. Get a crate that's adjustable - many are now a days. A wire crate is better for this. While potty training, the crate should only be big enough for the pup to stand up in, turn around, and lie down in. The adjustable ones allow for the pup's growth over time.

To avoid accidents in the house, tether the pup to you with his leash (yes, in the house), so that you know what he's doing at all times, and you don't lose track of him while watching t.v., preparing food, etc. Set the timer, if needed, so you don't forget to take him out. When showering, eating your meals, at night, etc., crate the pup. At his young age, I'd take him out every 60-90 minutes at first while you're home, stretching out the time as he stays consistently "dry". At night, set your alarm, if you're such a sound sleeper, to let him out in the middle of the night - just remember, it's for potty only (on his leash), not play. As he gets older, he won't need to go out in the middle of the night - it depends on the dog as to when he can hold it all night.

Feeding should be 3x daily until 6 months, then divide the ration into 2 feedings; water with each meal and really, at all times while you're home and able to take him outside. Take up water 2 hours before bedtime. Outside to potty w/in 20-30 minutes after each feeding; sooner, if you find he needs it. Potty after waking up from naps and after play sessions.

Have you tried clicker training for pottying (or any other desired behavior)? I've had a couple of dogs that have really responded well to this. Take a clicker (can find at any pet store for a couple of bucks) and a treat outside when you take the pup out to potty. Tell the the pup, "go potty" (or whatever you plan to say - use the same command consistently). After he goes, click and treat immediately, including verbal praise. Eventually, when the pup responds consistently to this ("go potty", click, treat, verbal praise), wean off the treats to just the "go potty", clicker and verbal praise, including a treat just every once and awhile (interval training). Eventually, you'll also be able to wean him off the clicker to just the "go potty" command and verbal praise. I still give my adult dogs a treat every so often, just to keep them guessing and interested.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
At 12 weeks, (assuming he's somewhere around 15 lbs), I would typically feed a golden pup 1/2 cup in the am, 1/4 at noon and 1/2 at dinner, of a good quality food. At around 20 lbs, 3/4 C, 1/4 and 3/4C.
Pups do tend to have slightly larger bellies, but the size and shape should be proportionate to the rest of him.

If the belly looks a little larger than it should be, then I see the vet for a fecal test and exam. You should be able to feel (not see) the ribs when he's standing, with slight pressure.

If you can see the ribs, and the belly is distended, see your vet.

If you can see his ribs and belly is not distended, you can increase his food by 1/8-1/4 at breakfast and dinner. If you cannot feel his ribs, you can decrease his food by 1/8 cup per sitting.

If mine gobble up their meals in under 5 minutes and look for more, and I can feel the ribs, and they tend to be unable to settle down, I increase the morning and evening meals by 1/4 C. You will prob be feeding 3 cups a day by the time he reaches 7 months of age, then back down to 2 cups per day at 12-15 months. I try to keep an eye on their growth spurts and increase accordingly until they reach 12 months.

(or at least that's how I do it)

Oh, and good advice by GP.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts