Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. I have a 5 month old Morkie puppy. We initially potty trained him on pee pads, as we got him in the winter and he couldn't go outside. We then transitioned to going outside. While doing this, we left out the potty pads for when we were not home (it's rare, but every now and again we would be gone 8 hours and didn't want to make him hold it the whole time.) After this, He started peeing randomly in the house. He still poops on the pad, but is lifting his leg and peeing everywhere inside. We know he can hold it, because he does for 8 hours a night. I'm at a loss for what to do. I think a lot of the peeing has to do with him marking his territory (isn't neutered yet). We have an older toy poodle male who the puppy is often trying to compete with, so I fear part of this is him trying to assert dominance. Any advice? I have no idea what to do as he is peeing everywhere. Thanks so much for any help

·
Registered
7,296 Posts
The peeing inside has to do with the fact that your expectations are too high for such a young puppy. Puppies BEGIN to develop the musculature to 'hold it' at around 6 months of age. Also, night time behavior is totally different than day time behavior. At night, puppies are sleeping and their metabolism slows down, meaning they don't need to potty as often. During the day, a good general rule is 1 hour per month in age. So at 5 months, maybe 5 hours. Less if activity such as play or training had just occurred.

With a 5 month old puppy I would still be heavily restricting access (crate, pen, etc.) when I am not home. He simply can't hold it yet, and he his free roaming is enabling him to make mistakes and reinforce the habit of peeing indoors.

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
Canyx is right on.

I'm assuming a "Morkie" is a cross between a Yorkie and...something. Small terriers are notoriously demanding to potty train, even though some individual owners get lucky. You need to go back to potty training basics, as though he were a complete beginner, rather than giving him the opportunity to continue making mistakes and deepen the habit of unwanted behaviors.

It will probably take some time to break these bad habits and establish new good habits - I suspect you sort of set yourself up for this by not establishing "outside" as the place for peeing right from the jump. (Sure, it was winter...I live just a titch south of the arctic circle and pretty much everyone still takes even their small dogs outside even in the winter. Generally speaking, dogs can handle it. Too late to change it now, but something to keep in mind with future dogs.) It's pretty easy for a dog to conflate pee pads with other household surfaces that have a similar texture, smell, whatever.

Also, get an enzyme cleaner and deep clean spots where he or the other dog have eliminated, if you haven't already.

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
I can't add anything that hasn't already been said! It's time to take a step back to the basics. Supervision and restriction when you can't supervise are the key right now!

Also, make sure you clean up the pee spots. My neutered dog has lifted his leg and peed inside when he smelled the urine of another dog on the wall, so its not really a dominance thing. Its just a "I smell pee-mail, let me leave some too!" An enzymatic cleaner like Nature's Miracle is best, because regular soap and water doesn't eliminate the smell.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts