Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all!
I haven't been on since I got my puppy, basically, and thought I was doing pretty well at being a new dog owner. I have a now 11 week old Papillon puppy whom I've been crate training. She likes her crate now and sleeps up to 6 hours in it at night time (a miracle!). Generally, I feed her dinner, take her out to potty, adn then we hang out on the couch or armchair while I watch tv or read emails. Tonight, we did that and she started trying to walk down my legs (which were up on the ottoman). I wouldn't let her do that (it's dangerous!) and kept bringing her back to where I was. I didn't think much of it, because she's pretty curious and always looks like she wants to jump down, so I have to keep an eye on her.
A few minutes later, though, I felt a warm sensation coming through my pants... She had peed on me! No signs before that. No circling, and no whining, which is usually the sign she gives me that she needs to pee.
What did I do wrong!? What should I do from here on out? Clearly, whatever I'm doing isn't working very well...
Please help!

·
Registered
232 Posts
First of all, 11 weeks old is not that old. she still has a very tiny bladder. she was probably trying to tell you she needed out when she was trying to walk on your legs. At that age, I'd take her out every 1/2 an hour, just to make sure she has no accidents :)

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
Sometimes babies pee on your lap :p. I wouldn't consider that a housetraining failure, just an accident. Other than that, how is she doing?

·
Registered
4,350 Posts
I agree. It's not that big of a deal at this point. She's still such a baby. And, I think she was trying to get off of you, but, you didn't realize it at the time...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts