Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, I finally got my new puppy! :whoo:

Everything is going great, however this 25 degree weather is awful. When we first came home he went potty in designated area, however, afterwards, he simply does not want to potty outside because it's so cold he starts to shake, I know he needs to go because usually within 5 minutes of coming back inside, he eliminate :reface:

We're going to petsmart today for initial vet visit & also buying a sweater so he is not as cold outside. I do not want to use potty pads indoors because I do not want to confuse him. I bought diapers, but they do not fit lol. Are there any other things I should consider to make him feel more comfortable going outside?

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
We adopted our dog in February, and we live in upstate NY. He was 3 1/2 lbs when we brought him home. It was cold. I made him a sweater and he hated it. Otherwise, the faster he went outside, the faster we went back inside. He learned! Even now as an adult the outer door doesn't finish closing and he's already done and heading back inside! It's really not a bad thing because there's less distraction, less interesting things to do, and the reward for going is getting to go back into the house!

·
Registered
13,074 Posts
Leah lu was given to me in November last year. She was 10 weeks old and 3.4 pounds. I bundled her up in a sweater ... and out she went. She learned the sooner she went the faster she got back inside the nice toasty house. It worked out very well ..... weather of all kinds do not bother her now.

·
Registered
4,470 Posts
I agree with the others, sometimes it helps teach a pup the faster they go outside the sooner they can get warm again inside. :) However with my long fur Aussie, he was more than happy to roll around in the snow the entire time even when he was a itty bitty baby. lol

·
Registered
13,074 Posts
and if there is snow on the ground shovel an open spot..
Definitely this! :) We shovel paths and an open round circle for them to go potty in when the snow is too deep ..... two of my dogs are little and get lost in a foot or more of snow.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts