Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I adopted a 4-year-old female Miniature Pinscher from a shelter last Tuesday. I am pretty sure that she was a breeder at a puppy mill. In the five days that I've had her, she hasn't peed or pooed outside once, even though I've been following all of the rules for a puppy mill dog--walking her on a schedule, keeping her leash on in the house so she gets used to it, etc. Luckily, she's already figured out how to pee and poo on newspapers/potty pads, but she'll only do it if no one is watching. I just need to know what I can do to get her to do her business outside!

·
Registered
63 Posts
depending on where you live, and as long as you have a fully fenced back yard, you could leave the back door open for her to come and go as she pleases. i have not had a puppy mill pup, but, it may work. good luck

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We don't have a fence, but we do have a big yard. I've tried putting her out on a chain, but she cries and usually sits on the deck next to the door. I'm going to try and put her outside more after she gets a bit less nervous.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you for that article, Dogstar! Did any of your dogs have a similar problem with not pottying outside after being adopted?

·
Registered
301 Posts
one thing I am a firm believer on is NO puppy pads or papers. They shouldn't be doing it accident or not I would not put anything down as that is almost inviting to them to go there then. take her out every 20 min if you are able to. When she goes outside lots of verbal praise and a treat! she will catch on!

·
Registered
4,072 Posts
Thank you for that article, Dogstar! Did any of your dogs have a similar problem with not pottying outside after being adopted?
We had one who was never totally reliable, period. Of the other 6, 4 were good. 2 were good as long as they were on a schedule, but would not ask to go out on their own. Not a great success rate, but not horrible, either. I think the other two might be more successful if KEPT on a schedule more consistently.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts