Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
recently got a 8mth old tibby, he's been trained by the previous owner to poo/urinate inside the house on newspaper.

this is a habit i need to change.

does anybody know how to re-train him so he goes poo/urinate in the backyard by himself?

·
Registered
5,924 Posts
recently got a 8mth old tibby, he's been trained by the previous owner to poo/urinate inside the house on newspaper.

this is a habit i need to change.

does anybody know how to re-train him so he goes poo/urinate in the backyard by himself?
Congrats on your pup, I love the breed! You need to go back to housebreaking 101. Take the pup outside, using a leash. I don't care if your yard is fenced in or not, he goes out on leash. As you exit your door, pick a term to use. We use "go potty". Take the dog outside, tell him to go potty and walk him back & forth. When he goes, throw a potty party! You can give a small treat if you'd like. Take him out after meals, drinking, playing, napping. You need to keep an eye on him all the time. If you cannot, tether him to you or crate him. If he has an accident in the house that you see, take him directly outside. Make sure you are using a good cleaner for where he has gone inside.

·
Registered
4,350 Posts
That pretty much says it all. Prevention is the key. If you can prevent accidents, by watching him closely (so you can see the signs he needs to go) and by taking him out on a schedule, then he will come to think he's not supposed to potty inside anymore. But, the more accidents he's allowed to have, the longer it will take. So, if you can focus on him super closely for 2-3 weeks or so, it will be worth it.

·
Registered
948 Posts
If he's reliably paper trained, consider whether that's a skill you can build on. I'd think about putting paper down close to the door; if he'll go there when it's time, will make it easier to recognize he's about to go and usher him on outside. When you feel the time is right, stop putting down paper.

It's just a thought that occurred to me - I have no experience with that situation.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts