Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As the title says we're training our pup where to eliminate, using Dunbars methods. In the morning, I take him out of his crate and put him on his turf, tell him to potty and wait. We've had to adjust the 3 minute-out rule w/ Rusty b/c he will go, but sometimes in 5 or 6 minutes. (should I be sticking more closely to the 3 minutes? I've been thinking as long as he is going in the right spot, it's a success?)

He will go pee and maybe even poop and I'll let him out, thinking he's empty. From all appearances, he shouldn't have anything left in him if you know what I mean. I'll let him out of his play yard and the kids and I will play with him for a while before returning him to his crate and starting the process over.

But here is the problem. Even when it appears as if he's FULLY eliminated, sometimes during playtime he will still end up peeing in the yard. Maybe even just 10 minutes after he peed and was allowed out of his puppy yard.

Problem #2: he is pooping sometimes 3 times a day. He does his morning poop, then later after he's successfully peed, been rewarded and allowed out to play for while, he'll poop again, maybe around 3 or 4 hours after his first poop. I can't predict this is going to happen so I can't seem to prevent the poops in the wrong places. Some days he does his reg. morning poop and no more. sometimes he does 2 additional poops, which end up in our back yard b/c i can't tell he's in need of doing it. And he sniffs around and starts to poop all in a split second so I can't get him to his turf fast enough.

Should I only be allowing him out of his crate and in his puppy play yard ONLY until he's fully trained so he plays much closer to his turf? If I do that, the kids will never get to play with him or run around and love on him since the play yard is not big enough for all that. Is his 3 poops a day reflective of us only having him less than a week, and adjustment issues?

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
It sounds to me like you're doing a fantastic job!

Puppies aren't always reliable to get it all out in one movement like older dogs do. Once your puppy goes and is let into the yard to play, the exercise is likely stimulating him to go some more. How about you playing ball with him on his turf after his first movement to see if he has another just waiting in the wings?

Granted, I don't know Dunbar's method, but I wouldn't worry about the 3 minute rule. 5 or 6 or even 10 minutes would be fine with me.

And as regards your last paragraph, if having him not soil the kids yard is really important to you, I think I'd keep him in his yard for another couple of weeks and let him in with the kids only after he's had a couple eliminations in his yard. The 3 poops a day is likely reflective of the fact that he's 10 weeks old and his system is still adjusting to everything. He's growing and changing so much that day to day changes are bound to happen. A regular schedule will emerge, but only after he's a little older. That's my experience, anyway.

Congratulations on doing such a thorough job!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts