Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a rescued Akita that I adopted in June of 2011. She is about 5 and she is fixed. She had never pottied in our house, EVER! She perfectly potty trained. Nothing has changed in our household but in the past month she has started peeing on my 3 year old son's bed. I have cleaned and cleaned the mattress. I make sure she is put out frequently. She just keeps peeing on his bed. I have looked online for ways to stop this, I just recently put an enzyme stuff on the bed, basically soaked it. Before that I can't even count the times we have shampooed the matress and tried to get it clean. But I did end up soaking the bed in the enzyme cleaner yesterday and this morning she was out for a good while. Less than an hour after she came in she peed and pooped on his bed. This is not something I can continue to do. I love her to death because she is so sweet and really just amazing but my husband and I have had it with this behavior. Any help is really really needed!!!! Thank you!

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
This was how it is with Charlotte. She's house broken, but if we leave her alone or she's in an unfamiliar house, she'll pee, usually on beds if ones available. Turns out, she has a form of anxiety. For us, we learned to just accept it and deal with it, so we bought her these:

They're called Piddle Pants, and these ones are made specifically for females. She wears them when we leave or while we're visiting relatives or in motel rooms and they work GREAT. You're dog may not have the same issue as Charlotte, but this could be a temporary solution for the time being.

·
Registered
4,350 Posts
The first thing I would do is not let her have access to bedrooms. Shut the bedroom doors, don't let her in bedrooms. At the very least, purchase a waterproof mattress pad.

Second, one of the disclaimers on most enzymatic cleaners is that, if you use any other products on a stain it may "set" the stain so that the enzymatic cleaner may not be as effective, or it may not work at all.

So, if you have cleaned the mattress with other things, the enzymatic cleaned my not help.

·
Registered
288 Posts
I would get a new mattress (agree with doxiemommy that the cleaning before the enzyme only helped to set the stain) but also restrict the dog's access to that room - for a while at least.

This is what I got from the ASPCA site (for my own doggie soiling issues):

Anxiety
A dog might be reliably housetrained until a major change happens in her household, such as the addition of a disliked individual or the permanent departure of a favored family member. Dogs who soil because of anxiety tend to eliminate on furniture, beds or sofas—areas that smell strongly of particular people or other animals. Sometimes a dog will become the target of another household animal’s aggression, which might cause anxiety and limit the dog’s access to places to eliminate.

Source: http://www.aspcabehavior.org/article.aspx?aId=3

Could it be that there was a traumatic experience for the dog with your child? At 3 he might be markedly (for your dog) different than before. More assertive? Rambunctious? A first surge of testosterone? I remember my son being this docile being and then by 3 he became this roaring little human lol.

We just rescued a dog two weeks ago and my now 7 yo boy is the only one who will "bug" the dog. Not because he is mean, but because he is a little boy and he thinks that lifting up the dog by his paws is fun or holding her in a choke hold (without really squeezing). Today I told him that he cannot approach the dog without me being there and I am teaching him - supervised - how to interact. Maybe your kid is different somehow, and I am not implying that he is mean in any way, just different and in some way triggering some anxiety in your dog.

So to make a long intro even longer :), maybe more supervised interaction with the kid/dog is in order to see if their dynamic has changed at all. Maybe it's your son being a certain size now that triggered a memory? It could be as "simple" as that and not really related to your kid at all. But my guess would be that this is anxiety around your son for whatever reason.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts