Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone I have a 5 month old terrier mix named Titan, whose cuteness is starting to get over powered by the amount of accidents I keep having to clean up off my floor. I work full time during the day and have to leave my little guy indoors for a long period of time. I don't have a crate for him however I have cornered off a section of my room that I call his "Bedroom" with a large gate. It's big enough that he has his bed, food bowls, his potty pad and a little extra room to lounge around. When in his bedroom he will always pee and poop on his pad. Peeing two to three times and pooping on the pad at least once a day. It isn't until I get home and let him out that he suddenly refuses to go on the potty pad. When I'm home he has full access to his bedroom and will often go in there when he wants to take a nap or play so I'm pretty sure he's not afraid to go into the area. We've been doing this same dance for a month now and I don't know what I'm doing wrong. Does anyone have any advice?

P.S. Trying to potty train him outside is not a choice. I've had dogs that were trained to use potty pads before so I know it's possible.

·
Super Moderator
3,326 Posts
Do you physically take him to the pad? He may not understand that the pad is actually the place he is supposed to go. You're right, it is possible, but sometimes the dog cannot distinguish 'pad' from carpet or rug. Some dogs never figure it out. If you insist on teach him to potty on a pad, perhaps try a sort of litter box so there is a very clear place he is supposed to go, and a place that he should not. The box can help the dog distinguish rugs and carpets from the pad he is supposed to go on. Also, you may have to proof it in different locations. If you go to someone's house he needs to know that the pad is the place he is supposed to go there, too.

Is there a specific reason he can't go outside? I know you've said you have done it before, but remember to consider the dog in front of you. Some dogs simply do not understand "this certain thing in the house is what you go on." They just can't make the connection. If you are supervising 100% of the time, confining when you cannot, and taking him to his pad frequently, you may need to consider using outside as his toilet. Going in the big wide outside is far easier for dogs to understand than "go on this one thing that looks an awful lot like carpets and rugs inside."

Make sure you are supervising him 100% of the time, and take him to his pad frequently. Confine him to his bedroom when you cannot. When he goes on the pad, make sure to reward him and praise him. If you catch him having an accident, interrupt with a word like "oops!" and take him to his pad at once. Clean up accidents with an enzymatic cleaner like Nature's Miracle. Keep his pad fresh and clean.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Do you physically take him to the pad? He may not understand that the pad is actually the place he is supposed to go. You're right, it is possible, but sometimes the dog cannot distinguish 'pad' from carpet or rug. Some dogs never figure it out. If you insist on teach him to potty on a pad, perhaps try a sort of litter box so there is a very clear place he is supposed to go, and a place that he should not. The box can help the dog distinguish rugs and carpets from the pad he is supposed to go on. Also, you may have to proof it in different locations. If you go to someone's house he needs to know that the pad is the place he is supposed to go there, too.

Is there a specific reason he can't go outside? I know you've said you have done it before, but remember to consider the dog in front of you. Some dogs simply do not understand "this certain thing in the house is what you go on." They just can't make the connection. If you are supervising 100% of the time, confining when you cannot, and taking him to his pad frequently, you may need to consider using outside as his toilet. Going in the big wide outside is far easier for dogs to understand than "go on this one thing that looks an awful lot like carpets and rugs inside."

Make sure you are supervising him 100% of the time, and take him to his pad frequently. Confine him to his bedroom when you cannot. When he goes on the pad, make sure to reward him and praise him. If you catch him having an accident, interrupt with a word like "oops!" and take him to his pad at once. Clean up accidents with an enzymatic cleaner like Nature's Miracle. Keep his pad fresh and clean.
I don't want to teach him to go outside because during the day there is no one to take him. I know he would not be able to hold his pee until I got home and that's just setting him up to fail. Also he does have a pot that his potty pads sits on so the texture is different from the carpet. And yes, every time he has an accident I take him to his pad but he'll just sit there and sometimes even lay on it until I let him move off of it.

·
Super Moderator
3,326 Posts
How frequently do you take him to the pad? You should be taking him very frequently, even if he hasn't had an accident. The point is to get him to the pad well before he has an accident. Are you supervising 100% of the time? How long would you be gone during the day? Most adult dogs can hold it for a full work day (8-9 hours), even small dogs.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts