Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend of mine has an 8 month old min pin who she decided to train to eliminate on potty pads rather than oudoors. The dog took well to this for the most part but occasionally goes on clothing or other things if they are left on the floor. Keeping things picked up off the floor prevents this problem but I can see where the dog might get confused.

Anyways....
I wondered if it would have helped if the potty pad might have been scented with a unique scent. A scent which might help differentiate the potty pad from other soft surfaces. I saw special phermone treated "potty posts" designed for outdoor use. For the purpose of training a dog to go in a specific area. This is what got me thinking. I did some searching but didn't find any phermone treated sprays that might encourage a dog to eliminate. Still, I would be curious to see if applying a certain scent to potty pads might make a difference to the dogs that use them.

Any thoughts on this?

·
Registered
257 Posts
I havn't heard of anything like that.. but it sounds interesting so why not give it a shot? I've noticed that any dog i've came across who were "trained" to use a potty pad always had accidents else where in the house. Don't believe i've met one who always used it correctly.

I'd never use those things personally.

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
Yeah that's the bad thing about puppy pads... if there's something else lying on the floor, it can very well be mistaken for a place to potty. I don't like those things either. They confuse dogs a lot. But perhaps they can try to scent it like you said. They do sell sprays like that at the pet stores.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I agree and its not something I would ever consider. I have cat litter boxes to deal with....don't need to be cleaning up after dogs inside too. LOL.

Cheetah said:
They do sell sprays like that at the pet stores.
Great! I'll have to look into it.

·
Registered
2,399 Posts

·
Registered
342 Posts
I don't have it anymore, but i THINK I saw something like that in my last Drs Foster &Smith catalog.

·
Registered
12,761 Posts
bigdawgs, I just looked at the Drs Foster Smith catalog, and the product is called "Puppy Trainer." It says it's a super attractant for training pads. drsfostersmith.com

·
Registered
146 Posts
I tried that for Ronin but now since i took it away, even though i sprayed down the area where he went with pet deoderizer he still remembers that was a place to go even though i've been bringing him outside for over a month. Also the pad that i got was scented, but it was scented all around so as soon as he hit an edge he would stop and go right on the floor instead of the middle of the pad.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Killerdrgn said:
I tried that for Ronin but now since i took it away, even though i sprayed down the area where he went with pet deoderizer he still remembers that was a place to go even though i've been bringing him outside for over a month. Also the pad that i got was scented, but it was scented all around so as soon as he hit an edge he would stop and go right on the floor instead of the middle of the pad.
Good to know. I didn't even know that the pads came scented.

·
Registered
146 Posts
The four paws wee wee pads taht are scented. i'm not too sure how scented they are but, after a couple of days Ronin just went to that scent, even though he kept completly missing the pads.

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts