Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We got a 1 year old female ausie/border collie/springer spaniel (we think ?) from the friends of animals about 9 weeks ago. She is very smart, and we have fallen in love with her. The problem we are having start 2 weeks ago when we took a car trip for several days, the dog would not go to the bathroom anywhere! We tried for hours to get her to eliminate, and she finally went in the hotel room, about 16 hours after we had left the house. We ended our trip early, and drove back home, where she went the next 18 hours before she went potty again. She seems to only go in the backyard of our home. I have tried moving some of her poop to front yard, and that hasn't worked. So i have started treating and praising when she eliminates in the backyard, as well as establishing potty, and poop comands when she goes. the problem now is she is starting to pee in the house! she didn't potty in the house for the first 2 months, and now is peeing on the rug! HELP! ?

·
Registered
13,074 Posts
IMO ... time to start potty training over 101 ... refresher course. She needs to know what is expected of her. Treat her like a pup for a bit. I bet she will get it before you know it. She is still very young. She may have never been completely potty trained to begin with.

Just keep up the potty parties when she does good outside and use your choice of potty commands too. Always treat immediately outside. Do not wait until you come back inside or she will not know what she is being rewarded for.

I use " Go Potty " for my potty command. :)

Also make sure you clean the areas with a good enzyme cleaner to remove all the urine or feces smell from your carpet. :) Also I believe you can use equal parts water with equal parts white vinegar to clean up urine smell. If you do not remove the urine smell she will keep doing her potty in those same exact areas.

Good luck! :)

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
dogs don't take well to changes in routine, and often, housetraining is what suffers most. also, it's not uncommon for puppies to regress in housetraining for a while, and dogs are puppies until about 2.

abbylynn has some good advice. just start over with the housetraining and stockpile a good enzymatic cleaner.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the help, I'm doing as suggested, and starting potty training ! I thought My wife and I were really lucky to get a puppy that was house trained, so much for that! I'm OK with re training, she is a wonderful dog.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts