Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, trying to find some help for my newly adopted Saluki, Kim.

I've had her for 3 months, and she's very sweet and well behaved when I'm at home. The issue comes in when I leave her at home when I go to work. I'm usually out of the house for 10 hours, so I pay a dog walker to walk her midway through the day, or have my friend check in on her and let her out to the fenced yard.

The issue is that she has a lot of accidents when I'm at work. I initially tried crating her, but she gets anxiety when I am gone, and she was messing in the crate and getting it all over herself, and was obviously not happy about it. I then outfitted my 3rd story sunroom and enclosed deck for her, by putting some fake grass on the deck, putting a TV and some dog beds and pads, a fan and toys up there for her. She enjoys this space, but she still almost always goes to the bathroom on the floor of the sunroom, and not her potty spots on the deck.

This is honestly the only working solution I can think of. I would give her access to the yard during the day, but I'm am nearly 100% certain she can jump the fence and escape if she wanted to. I've worked with her a LOT on using the grass pads as the designated potty area. She will do it eventually, but it's a struggle. On my 2 days off a week, I sit at home all day waiting for her to go. I'll take her out to do her business, and she will refuse until she absolutely can't hold it anymore, sometime stretching late into the night. I can't go on with this, as the constant accidents are taking a toll on the sunroom floor.

I know this issue is a combination of separation anxiety, which I am working on , as well as the new environment and new routine. But I need some direction here.

Picture of the little serial pooper:
Attach01[1390].jpg

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
How big is the crate you were leaving her in? Too much room is your enemy. The crate can only be large enough to stand up and turn around in. That is why she goes where she wants in the sun room. It is too big and she can go where she wants.

It also sounds like she does not really understand house breaking with great rewards for going outside.

I have indoor and outdoor kennels (full size kennels in the basement on concrete floors) and if I am gone a long time, they dogs are in full size kennels. I have one dog that will no go in a full size kennel. I have another one who will and the last one sometimes will. I live in the country.. no dog walkers.

I would return to the crate and couple it with making that crate a very positive place. I would also help her by "practicing" with the crate and locking her in it for short time spans and leaving and returning. I would also give her something in the crate to occupy her such as a raw meaty bone or a kong stuffed with plain yogurt and frozen over night before you give it to her.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Unfortunately, being gone so long during the day, it's just going to take longer. You have to take her out every 30 minutes when you're home, and pretty much wait with her until she goes... then reward. But even with your sitter, it's still a long time for a young dog to hold it unfortunately... so it will take longer. Just be patient and consistent.

Also yes - the crate needs to be small enough that they can't just go pee in one corner.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts