Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI, I am new here, I have a mini dachshund who wants to go out all the freakin' time. He does a little pee about 1/2 the time or 2/3 of the times he goes out. We are taking him out when we are home probably 5 or 6 times a day. This seems a bit much. We have had so much trouble getting him potty trained not to mention his aggression issues with people and animals other than those of his clan or "pack". We are both so scared to not take him out for fear he will start peeing in the house again (we just moved to a brand new place) and Puppers is trying very hard to be a good boy this time around but now it seems he is crying wolf when he wants to go outside every two hours. What to do what to do?!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
No, he has been to the vet for a skin condition on his ears but I just didn't think about that, that is a good idea. However, he has been like this the entire three and a half years of his life. One other thing I also thought of is that he loves our new apartment complex, there are lots of trees and ducks for him to chase away, and other curiosities for a dog. He seems to just like to be outside but unfortunately we take him out for 10-15 minutes at a time and it's just not enough for him. Since we live in apartments we don't have the luxury of a big yard with a fence for him to spend some quality time playing outside. When you add up the times we go outside and he fools us and the times he actually has to go potty, like I said it is about 1/2 the time. I have heard that taking your dog for like a thirty minute walk everyday is ideal but some days we just aren't up for that but if it means better behavior than we may have to make that a ritual everyday. He gets about an hour to an hour and a half outside for all the times we go but maybe it might be easier on us and him to give him a long walk everyday instead of 15 minutes breaks.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts