Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We've got a 5lb min pin. She's litter-box trained. She's always had bladder problems - crystals, debris, etc. She just finished another round of medication and is still on prescription food, but we are still experiencing problems. About once a day, she pees on a rug not too far from her box. I can't figure out what else to do!

Does anyone have any suggestions/help?

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Have you used an appropriate enzymatic pet stain cleaner? Regular household cleaners don't remove the urine smell that cues the dog to use the spot as a potty.

·
Registered
77 Posts
What type of food are you feeding? Both the "perscription" brand she is on now and whatever you normally feed... There has got to be a problem with what's going in...

Ditto the enzyme cleaner. Although by now she's probably peeing on that area out of habit. A habit which probably developed because of the negative association with the litter box. Have you thoroughly cleaned out the litter box with an enzyme cleaner as well, not just soap?

·
Registered
4,350 Posts
Try moving her litter box to the spot where she's currently having accidents. You said it's not too far away right? This will prevent the accident, and get her in the box.....

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
We actually just removed the rug altogether. I'm hoping that taking that element away will help. Not to mention, it smells HORRIBLE. As for the litter box, I have purchased brand new ones several times, thinking maybe that was part of the issue. I'm at a loss here. I was afraid that her small size would cause health problems... Maybe this is how things will remain?...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Is the rug about the same size as the liter box? Instead of putting liter in the box, put the rug in. If she uses the liter box, you'll know its the liter bothering her. Then maybe slowly add in litter until she's using regularly again, and once she is, throw out the rug.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I don't think I ever said, she's about 5 1/2 years old. As for the litter, I've switched it before. I'm at a complete loss here. Oh, and the rug was quite large: slightly over 8x10. Thank you everyone :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts