Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. I am sure this is the hundredth post about this but I would really really appreciate peoples honesty and input.

I have feeling kinda lonely the past year (probably not the best reason), and have thinking about some furry companionship. Considering I have had cats in the past I was thinking about getting a dog *if appropriate.*

I am single and live in an apartment. Work full time (35-40 hours a week), study at home the rest of the time for the CPA exam. In my spare time I like going for walks, riding my bike, and sitting on couch watching Seinfeld on Hulu.

I am able to pay the VET bills (reasonable amounts-$750-$1000), willing to pay for a dog walker like twice a week (I work close to home -10 minute bike ride for other three days).

My questions are:

1)Should I just forget about getting a dog with my work schedule?

2) What affordable breeds would suit my situation? (I know a puppy is not realistic given my work schedule). I don't want a Chihuahua sized dog, but also don't want a German Shepherd Saint Bernard type dog (Mediumish)

3) What age? I would prefer a mellow laid back dog that would do good by himself outside a crate while I'm at work, but also one that wouldn't mind going on walks or playing fetch.

4) Where to get the dog from? I have been looking on Craigslist, since shelter and rescue organizations won't adopt to me since I work full-time.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Hi. I am sure this is the hundredth post about this but I would really really appreciate peoples honesty and input.

I have feeling kinda lonely the past year (probably not the best reason), and have thinking about some furry companionship. Considering I have had cats in the past I was thinking about getting a dog *if appropriate.*

I am single and live in an apartment. Work full time (35-40 hours a week), study at home the rest of the time for the CPA exam. In my spare time I like going for walks, riding my bike, and sitting on couch watching Seinfeld on Hulu.

I am able to pay the VET bills (reasonable amounts-$750-$1000), willing to pay for a dog walker like twice a week (I work close to home -10 minute bike ride for other three days).

My questions are:

2) What affordable breeds would suit my situation? (I know a puppy is not realistic given my work schedule). I don't want a Chihuahua sized dog, but also don't want a German Shepherd Saint Bernard type dog (Mediumish)

3) What age? I would prefer a mellow laid back dog that would do good by himself outside a crate while I'm at work, but also one that wouldn't mind going on walks or playing fetch.

4) Where to get the dog from? I have been looking on Craigslist, since shelter and rescue organizations won't adopt to me since I work full-time.
My first reaction would be no because of your work hours but it depends on you personally. And I'm not just saying that for a dogs benefit but for your own too. You don't sound committed to the idea of a dog and I think if you're going to work full time and have a dog you need a lot of patience, energy and love for dogs because if you have a bad day in work and come home you've still have an expectant dog wanting to play and all you want to do is crash on a sofa.

I am a dog person and living alone with a dog and working full time was hell for me. Waking up early to walk him, then working, then rushing home for lunch and eating on the go, tending to the dog, back to work, come home again, oh more dog until you've finally exhausted him enough to collapse into bed and do it the next day.

If you're going to it's going to have to be an adult IMO who is used to the routine of being left alone for multiple hours. My inclination would be to foster for a while but obviously rescues don't want to deal with you due to your working hours.

If you get it from Craigslist there's no back up support, there's no "oh it didn't work out, back to to the rescue then", it's oh I have to re-sell this dog to another home and that's not fair on either of you.

So in summary it is possible for you to have a dog and work full time but it's something you should know you definitely want, not just on a whim of wanting a dog because it looks great because behind all the cut pictures and videos, dogs are hard work most of the time.

·
Registered
221 Posts

My questions are:

1) Yes and No, pointing more to no from your general post. If you're going to work full time, study and the have dog on top of that you're quickly going to find yourself with no time for yourself or to relax and that can cause problems with the dog making it play up which adds more stress and if you're studying that can effect it.
Imagine this routine 5 days a week:
Wake up early to tend to needs, small walk, feeding etc, then off to work you go, oh finally lunch time so I can grab a bite to eat! Wait I have to eat it on the go to have enough time to go home, play with dog, oh time to go back to work and I haven't sat down at all, work, go home and more excited dog, finally settles down and it's time for bed!

Unless you're committed to a dog it isn't going to be fun for you.

2) If you're looking to rehome then the rehoming fees are relatively low and not hugely breed specific but may be.

3)If you're going to get a dog IMO it should be older or even elderly

4) Well you don't have much choice since rescues won't deal with you meaning any reputable breeder certainly wont. So sites like craiglist are your best bet but you need to be aware they have no back up, if it doesn't work out you're left to re-home the dog once again and that's not fair on the dog or you really. You also need to be aware there's usually a behavioral reason the dogs are being re-homed so unless you get lucky and find someone genuinely having to re-home due to a change in circumstances you're not going to end up with a manageable dog 9 times out of 10.

So really unless you're a super doggy person with a ton of mental and physical energy and know what to do to exhaust a dog in as little time as possible when you need to then I would say getting a dog isn't suited to you right now sorry.
I've worked full time and on my own with a dog before and it was hell and that's when I super wanted a dog and was prepared. 6 months of my life I walked round like a zombie and set up a load of problems behaviorally in my dog for the future. Not good.

Some people may disagree or give some more useful info

·
Registered
12,194 Posts
Plenty of people who work full time and more hours than you) successfully have dogs (probably most people actually). My husband and I work 45-55 hours a week and our dogs do just fine. For a puppy you will definitely need to stop home at lunch or get a dog walker, but an adult dog can be home for 8+ hours while you're at work. We got both of our puppies while we were working full time and it worked out.

Do you have any other breed requirements? Pretty much any medium sized dog fits since your only requirement right now is being able to stay home during a typical work day. How much daily exercise can you provide? Will you attend obedience classes?

I think going to a shelter and telling them your requirements if probably your best bet. They can set you up with a medium sized laid back adult dog who will fit your situation perfectly. Try some other rescues - I've heard of some with silly requirements, but working full time was never one of them.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Have you tried to live alone and also own a dog? You have your partner so that's twice the amount of people to split the work with and if you're ill your partner will deal the dog for example. If the OP is ill then they'll have to suck it up and get on with having a dog and that's never pleasant.

Like I said it's do-able but it's also a lot of hard work that someone who isn't completely dog focused may find hard to manage unless they have help.

It's up to the OP if they decide if they can manage it but I'd prefer to warn them now than them get a dog and regret it and cause a dog to be re homed again or need to find somewhere else

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I can walk the dog in the morning before I go to work, during lunch (3 days, other two dog walker), and right after I come back from work. If i where to get a dog i would plan on going on a more intensive walk (1mile +) after I study (typically study for three hours on weekdays; 7-[4 in the morning, 3 in the evening] hours on weekends with 4 hours of break time in between). Not ideal situation; I know but I'm half way done the CPA and God willing I'll be completely done in the spring.

I wouldn't mind obedience training, but if I could train the dog myself I would prefer that, I live in a city without quality public transportation (Boise ) and without a car. Do all dogs require obedience training?

·
Registered
221 Posts
I can walk the dog in the morning before I go to work, during lunch (3 days, other two dog walker), and right after I come back from work. If i where to get a dog i would plan on going on a more intensive walk (1mile +) after I study (typically study for three hours on weekdays; 7-[4 in the morning, 3 in the evening] hours on weekends with 4 hours of break time in between). Not ideal situation; I know but I'm half way done the CPA and God willing I'll be completely done in the spring.

I wouldn't mind obedience training, but if I could train the dog myself I would prefer that, I live in a city without quality public transportation (Boise ) and without a car. Do all dogs require obedience training?
If you think you can manage that level of commitment and energy then go for it but I'm just warning that saying you can do that and actually doing that are two complete different things.

I thought I was capable of doing that but ended up crashing after doing it for a few months and that's all im trying to make you aware of.

I do suffer from depression/anxiety/low energy levels so maybe someone without that may be fine but just be wary it is a lot of on the go and very little I can sit down with a cup of tea and relax for 5.

Retired greyhound of similar may be the best option for you as they have small sperts of energy and then able to crasb as said above!

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
I'm a single mom and will be bringing home a puppy in December and I work full time. I've set myself up a schedule and it's completely doable. Single or not. Full time or not.

And before now, I was in a relationship and still all dog/puppy care fell on me, so having a partner didn't help much.

I think the key is being honest with yourself, not saying how much can I do, but much am I actually willing do. There are severl breeds puppy or adults that would fit your basic requirments, I agree more info in what you want in a dog is needed.

Also, I feel your pain with shelters, they won't adopt to me either because I won't agree to neuter early or have a fenced yard. I've never had an issue with good breeders though. I would defentily check out a fee more shelters, not all have hard requirments.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the input everyone I'm going to think on this hard.

[QUOTE/]

If you think you can manage that level of commitment and energy then go for it but I'm just warning that saying you can do that and actually doing that are two complete different things.

I thought I was capable of doing that but ended up crashing after doing it for a few months and that's all im trying to make you aware of.
[/QUOTE]

You have been the most critical; would you say that in the end although you crashed it was worth it? i.e would you do it again? Would I be more wise to finish studying for the exam before I got a dog? At which point I would just be working full time while single?

·
Registered
2,911 Posts

It's doable, don't worry. I lived alone with 4 dogs ranging from 90-140 lbs, worked 30 hours a week and completed my first MA all at the same time.

I now have 3 dogs ranging from 90-140lbs and am getting a puppy next Friday. I work 45 hours a week (I go home on my lunch). I also suffer from depression and anxiety. I can still get it done.

Does it take commitment? Yes, absolutely. But it sounds like you have a reasonable schedule and you are setting yourself up for success by getting a mature medium sized, low energy dog :)

·
Registered
12,194 Posts
Have you tried to live alone and also own a dog? You have your partner so that's twice the amount of people to split the work with and if you're ill your partner will deal the dog for example. If the OP is ill then they'll have to suck it up and get on with having a dog and that's never pleasant.

Like I said it's do-able but it's also a lot of hard work that someone who isn't completely dog focused may find hard to manage unless they have help.

It's up to the OP if they decide if they can manage it but I'd prefer to warn them now than them get a dog and regret it and cause a dog to be re homed again or need to find somewhere else
No, but I have friends who are single, work full time, and own dogs. It's not that big of a deal if someone really wants a dog.

ETA: Though I would worry about poor access to public transportation and no car. How would you get the dog to the vet in an emergency?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I would walk to the Vet; I lI've only about .7 miles from the vet. Or have my neighbor who occasionally lends me her car.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I think it's certainly doable but you have to be the right kind of person and chose the right breed.

I had a vizsla and lived alone so probably didn't help but I think if I knew what I did now I could deal with it 10 times better than I did.

I think you have to look if it's fair on you and the dog is my main concern, 8 hours a day is a long time to be alone and just because you can doesn't mean you should.

From what I can gather the OP has limited experience with dogs which is why I was more inclined to say no but that's just my opinion.

·
Super Moderator
7,306 Posts

I live alone, work full time, and have a dog, and it's REALLY not that hard, lol. On top of that, I live in an apartment, no yard, so I have to walk Kuma multiple times a day for his bathroom breaks, and it's STILL really not hard.

·
Registered
12,194 Posts
I would walk to the Vet; I lI've only about .7 miles from the vet. Or have my neighbor who occasionally lends me her car.
Oh, that's great. I would still recommend a dog you can carry at least. A really sick dog might not make it 0.7 miles. I assume you could always call a taxi too if it was really urgent.

·
Registered
12,194 Posts
I know very few people who own dogs and don't work full time. And those that don't are usually retired and *used* to work full time while owning dogs. And like I said I know plenty of single people with dogs, even puppies. It may have been very hard for you, but it's not really that hard for most people, especially if you start out with an adult who is mellowed out a bit.

·
Registered
2,911 Posts
I think it's certainly doable but you have to be the right kind of person and chose the right breed.

I had a vizsla and lived alone so probably didn't help but I think if I knew what I did now I could deal with it 10 times better than I did.

I think you have to look if it's fair on you and the dog is my main concern, 8 hours a day is a long time to be alone and just because you can doesn't mean you should.

From what I can gather the OP has limited experience with dogs which is why I was more inclined to say no but that's just my opinion.
So people who work full time shouldn't have dogs? Guess I should get rid of all of mine because 8 hours is too long for them to be alone.

Okay, back to reality - OP, lots and lots of people manage full time work schedules, kids and dogs. In fact, a majority of dog owners have to juggle these things. As long as you get an appropriately laid back and mature dog, you should do great. Especially because you've already clearly displayed your thoughtfulness and your willingness to ask questions and get opinions when you need them :)

1 - 20 of 74 Posts