Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello there everyone.

My name is Rachel and I am a single young working professional living in Toronto.

I have been considering getting a puppy for 4 years now and my want is growing by the day. Although I come from a family that never have had a dog growing up and I do not have much experience training, I have been doing plenty of research and am beyond certain I can manage it.

However, my only problem is I work fulltime - 8 hours a day with about 40 minutes travel time in total. I'm worried about not being home enough with the puppy. My heart is set on a chihuahua and it seems they have a good track record of being okay on their own in the day as they will most likely sleep. In september of this year I will be starting school again fulltime which will cut my hours away from home significantly, its the 8 months of me being away that I am hesitant about.

Thus my questions for you experts are;

Am I away from home too much? (I do have a roommate who works night and says she will be willing to help out here and there)

I have a HUGE crate a friend is willing to give me, is this a good step to take? Or let it be free within the day? (Chihuahua's are very fragile though, I am worried it could get hurt)

Is an hour in the morning and roughly 6-7 hours at night enough play time with my new puppy?

Is a female or male ideal?

Please respond, this is a huge commitment no doubt, and I want to make sure I am providing the new puppy a proper lifestyle.

Thank you!

·
Registered
5,931 Posts
This is jmo but working full time and going to school says, to me, that you shouldbwaitbto get a dog. If you weren't going to school, I'd suggest an adult dog biu you'll be away too much, IMO.

·
Registered
6,658 Posts
Just for clarification:
1. Are you moving away from Toronto temporarily to go to school?
2. Will you be keeping your full-time job in addition to going to school full-time?

If the answer is "yes" to either of those, its probably best to wait to get a dog until you can answer "no" to both of those questions. I know its really hard to wait, especially since you've been waiting for so long already, but its really in the dog's best interest for you to be able to focus on him/her. Otherwise I'd say a young adult would probably suit someone working full-time better than a puppy (although others have made it work for them).

·
Registered
4,350 Posts
I think I understand that in September, you will be starting to school, and NOT working, so you won't be away as much?
If so, I would wait until you start school. A puppy takes almost as much time and effort as a human baby. It is a lot of work. It is worth it! But, it's a lot of work.
Part the problem is, puppies need to go out to potty about every hour when they are young. Sometimes, some puppies need to go out every 20-30 minutes. Working people can handle it, and do handle it. Sometimes they decide to use puppy pads, and use an ex pen to confine the puppy. Sometimes they use a crate. Ideally, a crate should only be big enough for a puppy to stand up and turn around in. A large crate SOUNDS great, but, in reality, a large crate doesn't encourage a puppy to hold it's bladder, as if they pee or poop, they can move to another area and "get away" from the mess.

The problem with using a crate for a very young puppy is, there is no way possible they will be able to hold it through an 8 hour day, plus travel time, so they WILL end up peeing in the crate. And, if they get in the habit of peeing in their crate, that is a hard habit to break. Using an ex-pen with puppy pads at least gives the puppy the option of peeing somewhere besides the crate.

The down side of pads is, some puppies think it's then ok to pee/poop on anything remotely pad like, like throw rugs, door mats, etc. However, sometimes pads are a necessary evil.

Also, keep in mind that lots of puppies whine at night, for a day to a couple weeks, because their afraid, being away from their mama and siblings. And, lots of puppies need a middle of the night potty break, as they can't hold it all night.

On top of all this, there is the vaccinations, and vet visits, and the training, and daily exercise.

I'm not trying to deter you, but, there are lots of things people don't really expect, or they expect it, but don't realize how it will affect them. :)

Anyway, I would personally not get a puppy, especially a very young puppy, if I was working full time. I am a teacher, and I usually get new puppies only when I am on summer or winter break, so that I have the extra time.

You can do it, working, some people will post about how it's do-able, and you just bite the bullet, and do what you have to do....I just want to make sure you know what you're in for.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts