Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am not finding any information on starting a dog back on exercise after delivering pups. How long can she be away from her puppies in the various post-partum weeks? The pups are three days old now.

Thanks for any information or links.

(This dog was adopted from a shelter pregnant, unknown to everyone at the time... yes, she will be spayed!)

·
Registered
10,534 Posts
At this point, I'd let decide how much excercise she wants to do. Her main concern will be the pups right now, so when she's out of the whelping box see if she wants to play a little game of tuggy or fetch or a few minutes of training.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I should have mentioned that I think she would go for a walk (she enjoyed being out in the yard for a little bit today), but I wasn't sure how long the pups could be alone. And since she doesn't play at all (yet) walking is about all I can to exercise her.

·
Registered
10,534 Posts
I wouldn't ake her away from the pups just yet. Try getting her out in the yard fora few minutes for a game of chase if she'll play or like I said before, a 10 minute training session, nothing more than that right now. Once the pups are a couple weeks old she can start walking for 10-15 minutes around the block.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts