Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dog recovered very well from her ACL surgery. No limping, no soreness, no pain.. as if it nothing happened. The post surgery x-rays were recommended by the vet and it is not included in the surgery fee, so I have to pay about $200 for them. Is it medically necessary? If something is wrong from the surgery, the vet will not pay for the 2nd surgery to fix it.

·
Registered
213 Posts
It would be very helpful if you could tell us exactly which surgery was performed (there are at least three major ways of performing an ACL surgery), and how far our from the surgery your dog is, as both of these will strongly influence my answer.
To some extent it depends also on what you mean by "medically necessary." Let's assume that the X-rays appear normal. Were they necessary? In this case nothing has changed, but you have the peace of mind of knowing that the surgery was successful and your vet knows that no further follow-up is necessary. Let's assume that the X-ray shows a complication. In this case the X-rays are a critical component of case management and will guide further treatment. So, will you feel differently about spending the $200 depending upon what the X-rays show?
The way that I see it, the follow-up to a surgery (whether X-rays, recheck examinations, or physical therapy) are a cost of the surgery and should be figured into your decision from the beginning (hopefully your vet disclosed to you up front the total expected cost both for the surgery and the aftercare). When you decide to perform a specific surgery with a specific surgeon, you should commit to all of the costs of that procedure. When you start to pick the surgery apart and accept certain parts but decline others, you are really tying the surgeon's hands to produce a good outcome. If you trust your surgeon to perform the surgery, trust him also when he recommends what components are necessary. Your are certainly better off picking a surgeon that you trust before you start than you are asking anonymous strangers for advice on the internet.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts