Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have a BIG problem, metallic noises seem to trigger Akira's anxiety. But I would say it's much bigger than anxiety, he starts shaking like a leaf, has a kind of blank stare, wants to run home, pee and poop at the same time ... The first day after hearing a noise he will even shake in the house and after only outside. It happened once before but we thought we had been able to resolve the problem by using simple training techniques (positive reinforcement). However it seems to have come back. Could it be post traumatic stress because of his flight from Canada to France?

Akira has been to the vet and health-wise everything is perfect and next week we'll see a behaviourist.

Do you have any suggestions as what I can do before we meet the behaviourist to make his life a bit easier on himself and questions I should ask our behaviourist ?

·
Registered
3,385 Posts
That could very well be PTS...

Have you tried uhh uhh brain fart umm..desensatizing him to metallic sounds?

Like recording them and starting it really really low so you cant even hardly hear it, be in another room with him, and feed him treats and such...?

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes that's what my SO is supposed to have started. I say *suppose* because I'm on vacation and have not seen Akira for the last month (anxiety begun again last week).

I'll try it as soon as I get back home with the new treats I've bought him here :D

·
Registered
3,385 Posts
Just be careful not to do too much to soon. If it appears he is getting better, don't move on right away. Practice at the same part for a few more days, or a week to make sure he won't "relapse."

·
Registered
3,385 Posts
I think that would be best. But just keep a watchful eye, if you start to see any stress signals, licking of the lips, sucked in lips etc..you should stop.

A few things you can do to make him more comfortable are things like yawning(shows nothing is wrong, boring), soft voices, and just acting relaxed and comfortable.

·
Registered
36 Posts
one of my dogs has always been scared of thunder. only thing i could think of is to make sure he's in a safe environment when he hears the sound.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts