Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's entirely possible I'm overreacting. I've never had a girl before, so I have no idea what's normal.

She got spayed two days ago (Tuesday the 10th). Yesterday, I noticed some swelling and a little bit of blood. Not a lot, like if she was sleeping for an hour, there would be a few drops of blood on her blanket when she got up.

Called the vet, who said to bring her back in to be sure everything was fine. It was, but they put in a line of staples to better secure the incision. This was yesterday.

Today, it doesn't seem to be so swollen. She was still bleeding a teensy bit this morning, but now seems to be leaking a bit of clear fluid? She just slept for two hours, when she got up there was a bit of a wet spot on her bed.

She's also been sleeping a lot. When she's awake, she's herself, just a little bit subdued. Still has a ravenous appetite, and potty habits are the same.

So, ease my troubled mind. Should I call the vet again, or does this seem like a normal reaction?

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
A little bit of weeping is fine. As long as it's clear. If it becomes more moderate, or changes colors, or becomes swollen and inflamed, then you will need to bring her in.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! I've done nothing but read about spay complications since I got her home, and it really freaked me out. I think I let her do too much the first day. Now she goes from her crate, (carried) down the stairs, outside to the grass to eliminate, (carried) up the stairs, then either to my bed or her crate. I feel bad keeping her so confined, but I'd feel worse if she had a serious complication.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts