Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On Friday (3/13), I brought my ~6 month old mix-breed girl to get spayed. When I went to pick her up after the surgery, there were a couple drops of blood on her vagina. The vet said that this was normal, as long as it didn't continue. Now, however, it has been 2 days, and there is blood in her urine. She seems to be exhibiting the hallmark signs of a UTI (frequent urination, straining, blood, and she vomited a little bit this morning), but I am just wondering: what are the odds that it is something more serious? Is there a possibility that the "doctor" nicked something inside of her, and she is bleeding internally?

She is currently taking an antibiotic called Clavobay, which is a mix of 200mg amoxacillin and 50mg of clavulanic acid (penicillin, I think?). She has had 4 doses so far, including the injection the vet gave her on Friday. If it is a UTI, shouldn't this antibiotic knock it out of her system?

I am a Peace Corps volunteer, so vet care is challenging. I will DEFINITELY call the vet tomorrow morning, but they don't have lab equipment to run tests. The nearest vet with equipment is 3 hours away by bus, and since animals are not allowed on public transportation, I would need to keep her hidden.

Does anyone have experience with something like this? I am prepared to take her to the further vet with the lab equipment if necessary, but if the odds of her actually having internal bleeding are slim, I'd prefer to deal with the vet closer by in treating the UTI.

Thank you all in advance for your help.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
After a hysterectomy, there is nothing left of the female reproductive area, however, I do know that sometimes if there is left over blood from surgery, they will pass it out. I wouldn't brush it off, I would find out an emergency vet especially if the bleeding is getting worse and heavier. Could be an underlying infection or excessive internal wound hemorrhage. If she was heat when she was spayed she can spot up to a couple of weeks. The other possiblity is she has a urinary tract infection. Most likely she not bleeding internally. Check her gum color and make sure she is nice and pink. If she's active and eating and drinking well, she should befine. But I would consider bringing her to your vet to have a urine sample checked.
Thanks, FmrAnimalTech! She was not in heat before the surgery, and the blood appears fresh, not like it is left over. However, it does not appear to be getting heavier. Like I said, it is just a few drops when she pees. This is not to say that I plan to ignore it, though! I think her gums are pink, but I am no expert on dog gums, so it's hard to tell. They are a pale pink near the top, but turn to a darker pink around the teeth. Is that normal?

Also, if the blood is from excessive hemorrhaging, what would explain the frequent urination?

I know it is impossible to diagnose on a message board like this, but like I said, the vet does not have lab equipment, so they won't really be able to diagnose either. Unless I take her to the emergency vet, but I am really trying to avoid that, since getting caught with her on the bus would be an absolute disaster.

Thanks again!!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts