Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Bonza was spayed at a spay/neuter clinic on 10 December. I noticed a lump near the incision area and well below her skin, also below mammary tissue around New Year's day. Seemed large (bigger than a silver dollar), but it didn't stick up much. No pain, redness, soreness or other symptoms. I took her to the local vet; got the junior vet in the practice, who told me it was nothing and sent us on our merry way. On 9 January, Bonza presented symptoms looking like a urinary tract infection. Squat, squat, squat, squat . . . just a trickle of pee coming out. No leaking in the house. I took her in to the vet again and insisted on seeing the senior vet -- who I trust. No bacteria, no UTI. The vet was a little shocked by the size of the lump (she called it a mass) and took X-rays. From the size of it, she said it could well be pushing on the bladder. She said ultrasound would have been better but their radiographer wasn't available. She wanted me to rebook.
I opted instead to go back to the clinic that did the spay. They gave Bonza an appointment with the vet who did the surgery on the same day. Unfortunately, they don't have ultrasound either, though the vet that did the surgery is friends with my vet and they did share the X-ray.
The vet who did the surgery was stumped by the symptoms. She named three possibilities: granuloma with adhesion of uterine stump or omentum, panniculitis, or a sponge left in the surgical area. She has done several thousand spays and says she has never seen anything like this before. She says they did count sponges; it was a messy spay and there was a lot to clean up; but she has never before sewed a dog up with a sponge inside.
I've googled granuloma and panniculitis and they don't seem to match.

Does anyone have any thoughts on other things that might be going on?

Btw, the vet who did the surgery agreed to take responsibility for getting the problem treated at no cost to me. This is going to mean a two hour drive for each trip . . .which I am quite willing to make. Bonza is sleeping a lot and less playful than usual; still pee'ing a lot; but showing no fever, loss of appetite, or other alarming symptoms.

·
Registered
20 Posts
When my girl was spayed, she also started having UTI symptoms, although no mass like what you mention was visible. I took her to a specialized clinic and, after several tests, they concluded it was a stump pyometra, meaning the vet who spayed her left a small piece of uterus inside and it had formed a sort of pocket full of pus. It was not easy to get to this diagnosis. Ultrasound and X-ray did not show the pyometra for some reason, and it wasn't until they noticed something weird on yet another urine sample that they did a rectal exam and felt the pyometra inside. Maybe your dog has something similar?

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for replies. The mass has suddenly disappeared, though there's some lumpy scar tissue around the incision. Bonza's still pee'ing a lot, but less than before, and she's gone back to playing dog tag and chasing squirrels. I'm thinking to go back to the vet for palpitation and just monitor rather than going for a lot of tests. Of course, if surgery is required, we'll go forward with it. I'm not easy with problems mysteriously vanishing . . . but if this has happened I'm ready to chalk it up to the remarkable power of self-healing.

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
I would suspect reaction to the sutures. Gem is allergic to the internal sutures used in her spay, caused a lump near the incision site and took longer to heal overall, it went away on its own though, we didn't do anything outside of asking the vet whst kind of sutures were used for future reference should she ever need surgery again.

·
Banned
43 Posts
When my girl was spayed, she also started having UTI symptoms, although no mass like what you mention was visible. I took her to a specialized clinic and, after several tests, they concluded it was a stump pyometra, meaning the vet who spayed her left a small piece of uterus inside and it had formed a sort of pocket full of pus. It was not easy to get to this diagnosis. Ultrasound and X-ray did not show the pyometra for some reason, and it wasn't until they noticed something weird on yet another urine sample that they did a rectal exam and felt the pyometra inside. Maybe your dog has something similar?
Pyometra after spay.... interesting.

·
Registered
8,376 Posts
Thanks for replies. The mass has suddenly disappeared, though there's some lumpy scar tissue around the incision. Bonza's still pee'ing a lot, but less than before, and she's gone back to playing dog tag and chasing squirrels. I'm thinking to go back to the vet for palpitation and just monitor rather than going for a lot of tests. Of course, if surgery is required, we'll go forward with it. I'm not easy with problems mysteriously vanishing . . . but if this has happened I'm ready to chalk it up to the remarkable power of self-healing.
sending good thoughts..

1 - 7 of 7 Posts