Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dipped him twice a week for 5 weeks as instructed by my vet. After the next to last dip he started developing small reddish sores on his stomach. His skin seems very dry and he is still itching alot. Not quit as bad as before the treatment but still alot.

I have a funny feeling he still has the mang. Just wondering if anyone could tell me what the sores might be from?

Btw...His name is Poncho and he is a Cardigan Welsh Corgi

·
Registered
350 Posts
Dips used to be the treatment of choice for sarcoptic mange but there are more readily effective treatments such as Ivermectin and Revolution. Resultant bacterial infections are common so antibiotics are usually prescribed. Is your dog on antibiotics? Sarcoptic mites prefer areas with less hair so the abdomen is usually involved. I would say you are probably still dealing with the mites and/or a bacterial infection. I would suggest you call your vet and explain the situation. I'm a rescuer and the last time we had a sarcoptic mange infestation, a veterinary dermatologist prescribed three applications of Revolution to be given two weeks apart as well as a twice daily antibiotic. Like your dog, after a month the scratching was still pretty bad, which is not uncommon by the way. A bout of prednisone was prescribed which really helped. I really don't like to give dogs steroids but in cases like this, it really can make a big difference in bringing the dog some much needed relief. Good luck to you and Poncho. Please let us know how things progress.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the reply

Poncho isn't on any antibiotics. Was just prescribed the dip. I even called after week 1 pretty much begging for another treatment and my vet told me there was no other. But for a fee I could drop him off there for them to dip.

I think I will be taking him to a new vet monday morning. My only issue is there are so many where I live. How do I know which ones are good and which aren't?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Little did I know but Vet clinics are open on saturdays!

The new vet performed skin scraping and didn't find any mites, but he still thought it was Sarcoptic Mang. He prescribed 2 doses of Revolution. Once today and again in 2 weeks. Guess I found me a new vet

·
Registered
507 Posts
My dog had sarcoptic mange when I adopted her as a puppy from the Humane Society. My vet treated her with several shots of ivermectin to kill the buggies and a soothing shampoo to help with the itching. Treatment took about two months and it's hard to watch them all itchy and miserable, but it was well worth it.

Do you know other dog or cat owners in your area? People are usually happy to talk about their experiences with their vets. If you're really hard up, PM me your location and I'll check Angie's List for well-reviewed vets in your area.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Only about 20% of skin scrapes show sarcoptic mites because they are so deep. It sounds like you found a vet that has had some continuing education on mites. It's pretty hard to believe that your old vet wasn't aware of other treatments, most certainly Ivermectin as that was and still is the treatment of choice for many vets. Revolution is much easier and is really effective. Good luck to you and your pup.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts