Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is so absurd that I can't even believe this really just happened, but... I just got a call from my local Post Office letting me know that they can't come to my house to pick up packages I need shipped. I asked why, and was told,

"Both our regular carrier and the sub are afraid of the wolves, and don't want to get out of the truck. They don't think the chicken wire you keep them in can hold them, and they look mean."

Excuse me!? :eek: Wolves? Chicken wire?? What kind of an image does that conjure up to you guys? The reality is that I have two Northern mixes contained in a kennel built into a wooden deck, outfitted with CATTLE FENCING! That stuff is strong and certainly doesn't look like chicken wire.

I replied, "Well, I can tell you with certainty they are not wolves."

"Sorry, but our carrier said they definitely look like wolves."

"Well, they're not. They're DOGS. And the fence is not chicken wire, it's heavy-duty cattle fencing. I've been using that kennel for over 6 months with no escapes."

"Well... they really think they could get out."

"They can't. And even if they did, they're friendly. When we first moved in, the carrier even gave Willow a dog biscuit! They are not aggressive, they're friendly."

"Everyone says their dog is friendly until it bites someone. I mean, they will defend your home."

At this point I just gave up and said I would find an alternate location for package pickup.

I was wondering why I kept getting notices in my mailbox that my packages couldn't be delivered, even when I knew I was home when it should have arrived.

What would you guys do? Do you think a little talk to the mail lady is in order? Invite her to come up and meet the dogs and see that they are not a threat, and see that the fencing is strong? The last thing I need is Animal Control showing up because of this report of "mean wolves held in by chicken wire." :rolleyes:

·
Registered
5,997 Posts
I would try to be nice about it. I'd invite the mail carrier out some time when you were home and let her meet your "vicious wolves". Maybe she'll change her mind.

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
I'm pretty sure the post office has a legal obligation to get the mail to you no matter what. If they refuse, you probably have some pretty serious legal options to take if you so choose.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Rediculous!
I agree with hulkamaniac- I'd be nice about it at first and try to set up a meeting with the mail carrier and the dogs.

If that doesn't work, the legal route is always there. I'm certainly not a lawyer and don't know the laws pertaining to this at all, but it seems like you'd have a lot more "ammunition" for a case if you tried dealing with this personally first (having the mail carrier over). If she refuses, you could certainly state that you tried.

It would be different if your "wolves":rolleyes: had acted aggressive toward the carriers, but if this has never happened (and from your post I assume it has not), then these do not seem at all like real grounds for you to be denied your own mail at your property. Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Giving you an alternative pick up option certainly meets their obligation of delivering the mail. And I am pretty sure that a postal worker can refuse to visit a house if they are worried about dogs, even if they are chained or locked up, I am sure that it would no be fun for someone to get barked at by snarling dogs that defend their property. Even the nicest dogs have a sense of territory, and seeing a stranger walk up the steps will set most of them off.

·
Banned
749 Posts
Actually I think they can refuse to deliver the mail at his home. They can possibly alternately give you a PO Box. If the mail carriers do not change there mind I would ask about them giving you a PO box at no cost to you. If they will do that then make sure they give you the largest size they have.

The regular mail carrier here had met Lola and she was saying that she is really vicious (jokingly of course) and I had told her that she had better have 2 cans of the halt spray because that is what it would take to have her stop. She and I both laughed. She doesn't even alert me that the mail is here. Someone could break in and she would probably go up to them with her tail wagging looking to be petted or for a treat.

·
Registered
6,104 Posts
We live on a rural route delivery system and the postal employee certainly can refuse to come onto your property for delivery. And the postal system has fulfilled their obligation to you by offering an alternative.

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
We live on a rural route delivery system and the postal employee certainly can refuse to come onto your property for delivery. And the postal system has fulfilled their obligation to you by offering an alternative.
I knew that was the case on rural routes, but can they really satisfy their obligation in town by making you pick your mail up? I wouldn't have guessed!

I guess "neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night" doesn't include well enclosed dogs with zero bite history!

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
I knew that was the case on rural routes, but can they really satisfy their obligation in town by making you pick your mail up? I wouldn't have guessed!
A Letter Carrier is under no obligation to be maimed in the performance of his/her appointed rounds. It may seem unreasonable to you, but they get attacked by "friendly" dogs all the time. BTW, your dogs do look like wolves to the untrained eye, and a dog's owner is the very last person I'd trust to know whether a dog will bite.

I brought my Golden Retriever to the vet, one time, and it was a new guy we hadn't met before. I told him not to worry 'cause the dog was very friendly. A couple of seconds later I laughed and said: "Of course, if you're smart you'll ignore what I say and handle him as if he were a man killer". The doc assured me that he completely disregards what the owners say, and devotes his full attention to what the dog is telling him. Smart lad.

·
Registered
12,574 Posts
I'm pretty sure the post office has a legal obligation to get the mail to you no matter what. If they refuse, you probably have some pretty serious legal options to take if you so choose.

I don't think that is true. I think they have to make your mail available to you but if they have a legitimate concern they can refuse delivery. At least that is what others that I have known ran into. It also might depend on your area? Though mail is a federal thing. I do not know.
I agree with having them come out and assess the situation while you are there. Maybe have the mail carrier visit the dog. I had one mail carrier that I really liked but he was so terrified of my dogs. My dogs had always been friendly to him when I was there but he said when I was not they growled and slammed into the windows and doors of the house. He was a nervous wreck coming to my house. He had been bit by various dogs in his life and was jumpy about all dogs but he also saw my dogs as a huge threat. I started gaiting them off in the back of the house so they didn't even know when he came to deliver. I think the mailman was able to sleep easier at night and I never lost the right to delivery. Worked out good for both of us.

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
I work at the Post Office :p , and my co-worker, the carrier who delivers the mail to my house, is TERRIFIED of dogs. I suppose he has good reason to be. He complains about all the dogs on his route, but has only a few times stopped delivery, and only if the dogs were already getting out or it really looked like they could (for instance, a dog that jumped at the screen door, so that the door unlatched and opened a little bit but closed and latched before the dog got through). Yes, the PO can stop delivery if the carrier seriously believes that your dogs pose a threat, and what the carrier "seriously believes" is up to that carrier. We don't want to get munched :cool: .

So, I would suggest talking to your carrier personally. Point out how secure the fencing is, even if he/she doesn't want to get friendly with the dogs (we aren't supposed to, but I do anyway). Try to talk to the sub, too (might be carrying on Saturdays). Hopefully they'll see that the dogs aren't going to munch them.

The gas meter reader refused to come to my house for a couple of months (the window is right by the meter, and I guess they barked at the window) :mad: . Then he started coming again, and I don't know why. Either they got a new meter reader or he got over it.

·
Registered
823 Posts
Everyone (meter reader, mail man, etc.) is afraid of my dogs. They jump up in our window (Mia climbs on the back of the couch and lounges like a dang cat) and bark, inviting everyone and anyone to play. They have not gotten out and caused an issue, but you can tell they are feared.

My dachshund used to open the door and such to escape. She would bark and follow the mail man across the yard. We talked about it, but on several occasions my poor Heidi got pepper sprayed. I would assume that if she had been a bigger dog he would have refused to bring us our mail, and I would not have blamed him (my dog was not contained and did have a bite history... I used to be so clueless).

·
Registered
9,710 Posts
Your wolves...my fighting dogs....Inga's attack dogs...

Why am I laughing so hard?

Seriously though...Ask if they will meet Willow and Bandit but don't expect it.

I had a mail guy who was deathly afraid of Bolo. He saw her being friendly with little kids and other people on multiple occasions and still wouldn't go near her...

I think mail people are just like that sometimes.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Your wolves...my fighting dogs....Inga's attack dogs...
I also have three FEROCIOUS poodles who frighten our UPS man. They are terrifying, let me tell you.

·
Registered
3,699 Posts
Actually, they are within their rights to refuse service when they've encountered a problem dog(s). In this case, it's unwarranted to refuse service just because the carriers THINK the dogs could get out, and that they THINK the dogs LOOK mean. Since an incident has never happened, I do believe they must deliver to your address. I'd push it with the Post Master.

·
Registered
9,307 Posts
People, the big problem is that there are way, way, way, way more idiots out in the world that cannot rub their bellies and spit at the same time. The reponsible dog owners have to pay the price for the idiots who most of the time don't have a clue about how or where to keep a dog. This is not going to change ever, I'm sure DF has helped some newbies get a decent responsible start with dogs. The problem is that for every responsible newbie there are 10 idiots(not sure of the %s) nekomi just make peace the best way you can, I don't think this is a fight you can win.

·
Registered
388 Posts
I would deliver your packages just to get to befriend your beautiful dogs. They are gorgeous! I've heard that those green boas can be iffy, though! ;)

·
Banned
7,942 Posts
Nope.. not a fight you can win. Not ever. People who are afraid of dogs just are.

A year ago the FedEx guy came to my house and asked about the Neighbor's dog (Shadow). I told him she ahd crossed the Reainbow Bridge and he was sad. He said, "I liked her and I like dogs... "

I replied that the neighborhood was not dog-less and to hold on and I will get mine... to which he agreed.

I let Atka out and she went bounding toward him (New Friend! New Friend!!) and his jaw dropped.. he looked like he was about to pee his pants... and she went over to be petted and then he was fine.

He said, "Well, I do like dogs but I did not know you had a German Shepherd." Atka got him all calmed down rubbing on his legs like a cat. He may refuse to deliver to my house if Atka is out.. even tho she proved herself as friendly.. she is a darned vicous German Shepherd.

I can also say that I might have a different attitude if I were a mail carrier, but I would not refuse to deliver mail to a house with the dogs confined behind a fence.. and I do knwo what cattle wire is.

You can't fix/train people.. and most aren't worth training if you were to try.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts