Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a new dog owner, and Enzo just came back from the vet. He's passed out now, but was whining a bit before and I'm concerned he might be in pain. I called the vet and she said that he was just given pain meds post-op, and I shouldn't be concerned, but that "I would be the best judge of whether he is in pain" and could give him meds now, if needed. They gave me Rimadyl, btw.

My question, naturally, is how do I judge whether he is in pain? I've only had cats and they really don't show it.

Thank you!

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well I just read online that he shouldn't be in pain if he was given meds post-op, and that whimpering might be a side effect from the anesthesia. So feeling better :)

·
Registered
3,054 Posts
If he has pain meds, and his incision looks fine, etc.. then it's likely from the anesthesia, he's going to be a little 'off' for a couple of days, and then he'll bounce back like nothing happened. Just keep up on the pain meds and keep a close eye to make sure he's not messing with the incision.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Whimpering is a side effect. I know this because it happens to my dog every time he gets sedated (2x already) and on pain meds. This is constant chirping and panting restlessness for hours on end.

·
Registered
49 Posts
In general, neutering is a relatively 'low-pain' postoperative condition... but if things go wrong, or if a dog is ultrasensitive, it could benefit treatment. I usually send home pain meds JUST IN CASE, but most times the pain is gone in 24 hours (at least as far as we can tell.. never had this done to me personally, but most dogs seem painfree in that time).

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
Whiney, extra clingy behavior may just be anesthesia.

Buster came home seriously nauseous (serious, coat & towel soaking drooling) after his neuter. He didnt show pain unless he was up moving (to go out to potty & such). At that point he indicated pain by holding his rear legs closer together than normal.

If he'll allow it, you can ice the area. Do not ice the surgical wound, just the area around it, and be sure not to use ice directly on his skin as you can cause frostbite. Do not force the issue if he's not willing, you could cause more pain instead of giving him some relief. Buster LOVED his ice packs and would willingly go belly up when he saw me bring one in...and then sleep while I iced him. 5-10 minutes, 3-4 times per day, I'd go sit with him and hold a cloth covered ice pack on his scrotum...because of Busters age (just shy of 6 years old) at surgery he had a whole lot of swelling (3x his intact size at one point).

We did 5 days of pain meds/anti-inflamitories and iced fairly regularly for 10 days.

If you have ANY questions about his wound, call your vet. I took Buster in 2 days later because part of his wound reopened due to the swelling. It ended up being no big deal, we opted to leave it open (more comfortable for him), but the vet was happy to see him and said she'd rather see him in the office every day than to have something go wrong and have us wait...or have to take him back in because we waited.

·
Registered
9,355 Posts
If he is in pain, he won't just whine, he will also try to chew the incision. Most dogs are very tough and don't have much pain. Any discomfort from the surgery begins to subside by 3 days, sometimes sooner ... and the dog will want to run around, which I imagine was against Vet orders.

However, in a few days, he may want to lick or nibble the incision, b/c it may itch as it heals. If he explores the incision, rimadyl may help at that time... be sure to give it with a handful of food.

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
NSAIDs are not just for pain releif but control the swelling of the surgery site too. /crying, downward dog yoga pose, restlessness, panting are all sign of pain.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts