Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone!

Tolouse was neutered on 2/11. He was a cryptorchid and ended up with a spay-style incision near his penis. Very extensive surgery. We were advised by the vet to limit activity for a week, but were told crating was unnecessary. [Tolouse was never crated before this, only confined to the bathroom when we weren't home.]

By 2/16, his incisions seemed to be doing beautifully. There was some crustiness on top of the one near his scrotum, but I knew from "people surgery" experience that it was normal. We stopped putting the cone on him when he was confined. By 2/18, everything seemed A-OK so we lifted let him resume normal play, per the vet's initial recommendation. The vet assured me this was caused by normal inflammation and would pass within a few days.

During this time, we noticed he'd lost bladder control almost entirely. He'd always been a "tinkler" when he got excited, but for almost 10 days, he'd evacuate his bladder ENTIRELY at the slightest excitement.

On Monday (2/21), I was rubbing his belly and noticed he'd gone from slightly swollen to hugely inflamed. I was worried it was an infection, and took him to the puppy ER. The vet there said it was simply a very LARGE seroma, aspirated it and sent us home with instructions to severely CRATE for a minimum of 7 days. He is allowed no free play (or even cuddles because he's such a jumpy pup :() and can only come out to eat, drink and potty.

We're on day 3 of crating and I'm quite worried for him. The seroma appears to be developing again to a much lesser to degree - which the ER vet advised would happen and to not be alarmed - but he's constantly whining and yipping. He's completely ripped apart the pet bed I put in the crate. He's digging and throwing himself against the sides. It almost seems like he'd be LESS active if I just got rid of the crate entirely!

I'm worried this behavior will a) exacerbate the reformation of the seroma and b) cause some serious psychological damage to pup. Since we got him in October of last year, he's been allowed to freely roam the house and has slept with our kids at night. He usually takes his afternoon nap on someone's lap while they read. This kind of switch is really traumatic for him! We're getting him rechecked by his regular vet this Saturday, but I don't know what to do for him in the meantime and no one seems to think this is an issue (but me). I don't typically believe in giving meds, but sedatives almost seem like a good option right now. Any help would be appreciated!

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
You might ask your vet about sedatives. I'd also make sure he has plenty of items to chew, like a Kong stuffed with peanut butter and frozen, to chew on.

If he'll lay quietly beside you, I might keep him leashed/tethered to you when you are sitting around. Or put the cone on, and keep him in whatever room you are in and supervise him.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts