Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!

I just got my 6mo puppy neutered on Friday and I have a few questions regarding it. He's gone back to being a little terror (in the best way, of course) and I've been keeping the cone on him at night and when I'm gone at work. Otherwise I just watch him and stop him from licking the incisions (he was cryptorchid). I have two questions:

1) Is the incision healing correctly? I noticed the little gap in his thigh incision when I picked him up on Friday but assumed it was normal if the vet had let him go home like that... It's not showing any signs of infection or anything, but I'm wondering if it will heal up normally or if I should take him back to get it stitched up? He had the dissolvable stitches with the glue keeping his skin together. It doesn't seem to be hurting him or anything but I just want to make sure it's okay.
IMG_1397.jpg

2) He's also been coughing a little bit since the surgery. The first day, I figured it was because his throat was sore from the intubation but it's been 4 days now and he's still coughing every now and then.. Is this normal?

Another thing I noticed was that he picked up fleas at the vet.. Is this something I can complain to them about or just something I have to deal with?

Thank you all so much! Pita and I appreciate all your help!

·
Registered
278 Posts
Call your vet, they will be able to tell you if you should bring him back in to check on him or what to do. Check up should likely be free.

·
Registered
2,911 Posts
I'd take him back. I think the incision looks fine, but they should look at it and determine that.

If he picked up fleas at the vet, I'd complain. Also sounds like he maybe picked up some sort of kennel cough at the vet. Which I'd also mention to them.

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
It never hurts to call the vet. If its an issue, the sooner you treat it the easier the recovery will be for your boy.

When I had Buster neutered his vet said she'd rather see him daily for "nothing" than to have me wait and have a huge issue at the recheck appointment.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts