Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I moved into a new house a little over a month ago. Since moving, my two dogs have had increased number of bowel movements everyday. Both of my dogs are potty trained (3 and 7 years old), but since moving, I may come home to 1-4 piles a day. Their diet has not changed and I would think over a month being in the new house would have lowered any potential stress levels.

I am unsure what to do to get them to stop having poop accidents. Does anyone here have any ideas?

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Dog do not generalize training well. This means what they learned in one place is not transferred to a new place. It can include everything taught to the dog from obedience to potty training. This is why a dog that is trained to sit in the back yard gets to a new place and doesn't know sit anymore. Until you "proof" a behavior in many new places, the dog will not exhibit the training.

Same with potty training.

Get crates and start over with potty training in the new house. That is the answer.

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Have you moved to an area with a different water system? If so, it's possible that the new water is causing the problem. In that case, I would try either using bottled water, or investing an a filtration system (faucet mount or pitcher) for their water for a while. If that seems to take care of the problem, you can gradually start adding in the regular water if you want to (I know that bottled water can be pricey).

1 - 3 of 3 Posts