Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 3-year-old American Bulldog is pregnant with her first litter and I'm excited. This is also my first time having a pregnant dog so I may be paranoid. Some of her nipples seem abnormally large. Not so much saggy yet, but really large and sensitive. I know that her nipples are supposed to get larger but about three or four of them are about the size of a quarter. Is this something I should be worried about?

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
Do you have a breeding mentor? Somebody experienced to help you through this pregnancy and raising the litter? It's going to be hard going if you're just winging it--pregnancy is nothing compared to actually raising the pups! Your vet should be on speed-dial, too. Even if the questions seem silly, don't be afraid to call. Better safe than sorry.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, my girlfriend is a vet tech and she says it should be fine. She's never bred dogs, though. She's seen plenty of pregnant dogs, but hasn't raised any. I took my dog to the vet when the pregnancy was just starting to show and everything was fine but then this came up so I am a little worried but like I said, I could just be paranoid.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Sounds normal, but please get with someone very experienced in breeding. There are many things to watch for before, during, and after pregnancy. Many dogs can develop mastitis you should to check twice daily. Difficulty delivering needs to be caught early. First time moms often have issues with properly cleaning the pups at birth, some wont touch them, some get carried away cleaning, pull umbilical cords too much, or chew off feet. Make sure everything passed after delivery, retained pieces cause infections and can lead to death..
Then the pups. Proper whelping boxes or places to prevent Mom from suffocating them. Proper temperatures, check for cleft palates, hernias, deformities, proper nursing, the list goes on. Hopefully all goes well, but if a problem arises it needs to be recognized immediately.
Maybe ask your vet about any local breeders, and contact them, or talk with the owner of the stud dog about what to watch for, and how to properly check. Good luck!

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
My 3-year-old American Bulldog is pregnant with her first litter and I'm excited. This is also my first time having a pregnant dog so I may be paranoid. Some of her nipples seem abnormally large. Not so much saggy yet, but really large and sensitive. I know that her nipples are supposed to get larger but about three or four of them are about the size of a quarter. Is this something I should be worried about?
It sounds normal to me. Do you have a mentor who can take a look at them?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I don't have a mentor. I do have a friend who breeds boxers so I think I'll giver her a call. She's in good health. She had some skin problems when she was a puppy but I took care of that and since then she's been the pinnacle of health. I decided to breed her mainly because she has several good traits and I plan on keeping one of the pups for myself and selling the rest. She's very good natured, loving, very smart. I'm probably biased because she's my baby :). Thanks for the advice. Like I said, I'm probably just being paranoid and over protective and all that stuff but better safe than sorry.

·
Registered
6,437 Posts
What was meant by health checks, are not simple vet checks and are not something you can say your dog is. It's genetic tests that are being asked about, and tests for HD and ED.

Do you know what NCL is? Cause it is something very much common in various lines of AB, that and ichthyosis. There are DNA tests for both, or at least NCL. Even if your dog isn't expressing the genes, she and the stud dog could both be carriers which means you will be producing at least some effected puppies.

Did the stud dog have any of these?

And that is just the bare minimum.

As for the nipples, sounds normal, but I would be checking them daily for as stated above mastitis. Some nipples get bigger than others, they just do.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts