Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I have a bit of a sensitive situation here....this is involving a dog that used to be my dog but I no longer own. I saw the dog today with the GF of the owner, and he looked awful and was scratching like crazy. I mentioned it and she said that he was actually giving himself sores from scratching and chewing, and that she had taken him to the vet but that the owner had refused to buy the medicine, a spray on allergy med, that the vet wanted to prescribe. Then she tells me that the dog also has an ear infection that has been going on for weeks that he also won't treat, saying, according to her, he has no money in the budget for the dog right now. She lifted up his ear and it was all bloody and scabby inside.

I really don't know what to do about this...I know the dog has had adequate vet care in the past because I'm friends with the vet tech that sees him, and I'm pretty sure he can afford to treat him. I plan on saying something to him about the ear tomorrow...what else would you guys do? My friends think I should ask for the dog back, and I still feel a sense of responsibility for this dog, but we have even less money than they do, plus he doesn't get along with my dogs. I'm hoping that he'll just get the dog treated and it won't be an issue anymore.

·
Banned
335 Posts
I think that unless you are prepared to pay for the dog's care yourself, that you should let go and accept the fact that the dog no longer belongs to you. If you feel compelled to do so, point out that the external ear leather can be washed and that a simple topical ointment or something applied that will cut down on the discomfort and the scratching, which might help somewhat (but would not fix any infection) and that untreated ear infections can lead to serious complications if the infections spread.

Other than that, I would not recommend that you do anything. I've said it before and taken heat for it, but unless you have proof that the dog is being abused and neglected: not your dog; not your problem. I personally believe that we need to worry more about what takes place with our own dogs and in our own homes than we do about other people's dogs--even if they once belonged to us.

·
Banned
1,765 Posts
Are you on good terms with the owner? If so I would at least ask him what the deal was.

If you think the dog is being neglected, you should report it but there isn't much that you can do if it's not your dog. I don't really think anyone can make the owner care more for his dog but if the dog is being neglected, maybe AC can find it a better home.

It's not really your responsibility anymore. Maybe you can convince the owner to find a better home for the dog?

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
I would talk witht he owner of the dog. I wouldnt beable to stand by and keep thinking about my past dog with so many problems with out trying to get the new owner to atleast get him some real medical help.

I think that unless you are prepared to pay for the dog's care yourself, that you should let go and accept the fact that the dog no longer belongs to you.
Other than that, I would not recommend that you do anything. I've said it before and taken heat for it, but unless you have proof that the dog is being abused and neglected: not your dog; not your problem. I personally believe that we need to worry more about what takes place with our own dogs and in our own homes than we do about other people's dogs--even if they once belonged to us.

How does she not have proof? The GF of the dogs owner clearly said he wotn pay for medication for the dog. So people shouldnt care about other peoples animals, no one should try and help a dog that lvies on a chain, no food, no water, sores, infested with fleas all over its body, becuase its not ours so not our problem? wow....

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I appreciate the opinions...I'm definitely going to say something today and I hope that will be enough....I also have a bunch of samples of a medicated bath that my vet gave me for one of my dogs that I'm going to give him. Other than that though, I'm kinda between a rock and a hard place...the owner is my ex and I don't want to call ac and start something with someone I share my kids with, and I'm not in a position to take the dog even if he offered, though I would if I absolutely had to. The dog is also 11 years old and with a few health issues isn't really rehomeable....bottom line, there aren't alot of better options out there for this dog.

·
Banned
335 Posts
I would talk witht he owner of the dog. I wouldnt beable to stand by and keep thinking about my past dog with so many problems with out trying to get the new owner to atleast get him some real medical help
If I were the new owner of the dog, I would tell you to mind your own business. Unless there is actual proof of abuse, then the law would agree that there is nothing else that you are permitted to do, in terms of care for the dog.

How does she not have proof? The GF of the dogs owner clearly said he wotn pay for medication for the dog. So people shouldnt care about other peoples animals, no one should try and help a dog that lvies on a chain, no food, no water, sores, infested with fleas all over its body, becuase its not ours so not our problem? wow....
How *does* she have proof? The word of the girlfriend? The girlfriend never said that he "refused" to give medical care. If we are to believe the OP, then what the girlfriend said was that there was no money to pay for the dog's treatment.

. . . she had taken him to the vet but that the owner had refused to buy the medicine, a spray on allergy med, that the vet wanted to prescribe. Then she tells me that the dog also has an ear infection that has been going on for weeks that he also won't treat, saying, according to her, he has no money in the budget for the dog right now. She lifted up his ear and it was all bloody and scabby inside.

I really don't know what to do about this...I know the dog has had adequate vet care in the past because I'm friends with the vet tech that sees him, and I'm pretty sure he can afford to treat him. I plan on saying something to him about the ear tomorrow. . .
In this day and age I am hard pressed to blame anyone who finds it difficult to pay for something that does not directly affect housing, utilities, transportation or food. In case you haven't noticed, the economy is terrible. Just because the OP is "pretty sure" that he can afford the treatment doesn't make it a reality. If the OP and the girlfriend are so blessed concerned about the dog's care, then they should split the cost of the medication and be done with it, instead of casting stones or calling animal control.

There is *no* clear case of abuse here. Dogs can scratch their ears bloody in a matter of minutes and, if there is no Elizabethan collar being used, will repeatedly scratch the itchy scabs off. If the dog had bloody scabs all over its body or if it were seriously underweight or if it had emissions from its ears, nose, or eyes, then it might be something for animal control to take care of. At this point is sounds as if animal control, which is probably also feeling budget cuts, would say "what do you want us to do about it?"

So yes, in this particular case: not your dog; not your problem. Unless the OP is willing to do something to correct the issue instead of just complaining about it, then she should mind her own business. That is my opinion and it is just as legitimate and realistic as anyone else's.

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
I have to admit that this is a touchy situation and very tricky...

A previous dog of yours is being physically and medically neglected... We all feel compelled to take care of dogs, (because we're "dog-people") when we see a "strange" dog in the same situation, it tears at our heart-strings... Now, this "strange" dog is a dog that used to be part of your family...

How would anyone be able to go about chewing the jerk out without sounding ridiculously and unnecessarily over-protective? (I mean "jerk" in a general term, as in anyone else doing this, not just about your ex.)

I believe that I would ask "the owner", if the guy even has a right to call himself that... I would ask him, "I noticed *your* dog is looking a little ill and seems to be severely uncomfortable... I heard that finances aren't in your favor right now and I was wondering if there's anything I can do to help you help the dog..." That's what I would say. Even if it might seem embarrassing, or judgmental, not taking care of a dog's medical-needs is grounds for an @$$-whoppin' in my book... I can understand not having the money, but please don't let the dog suffer!!

Donatello suffers from allergies, (to corn) so far, and when I couldn't figure out what it was, I was beating myself up over it and nearly in tears trying to fix it... He was so miserable and I felt so bad for him, I couldn't do anything financially for him because I just had to pay a $300 pet deposit fee! But, I didn't let Donatello suffer. I asked around whenever I could, I talked to vet-techs "off-the-record", I went out and bought everything I could think of to relieve his suffering... I can understand not being able to afford a vet, even if they're "cheap", but there are things he can try to do to elevate the itching and the pain.

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
More posts came while I was typing...not sure why I'm getting flak here all of a sudden, I have no intention of calling ac, but I'm simply concerned about a dog I used to own. I know something about this guys financial situation being that he's my ex and I know he's doing far better than I am in this economy...it would be beyond ironic if the gf and I had to split the cost of meds to get the dog treated, but I'll do that if I have to.

·
Banned
1,861 Posts
You said you had some samples from a vet right? Him being your ex are you guys on good grounds? Talk nicely with him, offer him the samples.

Say something like " i noticed...insert dogs name...seems to have some sort of skin issue, i had these laying around, would you like them?"

That way you arent being pushy, you are being nice and offering him something.

I dont know what to do about the ears. My vet I just have to call and i can go pick meds up without a huge bill.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts