Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dandi loves other dogs when she's introduced right, but certain things will make her get snarly. She's never bitten another dog, she's more bark than bite, but my mum is starting to get worried.

We just ran into a little puppy, I think it was a bulldog puppy? Adorable little guy. He wanted to say hi to Dandi and his owners let him and the puppy was all over her, jumping on her and smothering her. She was smaller than him. Before I could pull her out from under him she growled/snarled at him, which I'm thinking, 'She's telling him off for being rude'. Normal puppy/dog thing. She didn't snap or bite. But the people with the puppy seemed pretty freaked and walked off before we could say anything and my mum is worried as well.

Aside from that, the only other dogs that upset her are off leash dogs that run up to her. If they walk up to her she's fine. She also gets growly if she can't go say hi to a dog, which I've managed to train out of her on trails but not on the streets yet. She gets more trail walks than street walks.

Is it possible that I'm overlooking the signs of dog aggression?

·
Registered
434 Posts
I don't think so, Dandi sounds alot like my older dog Sydney. She gets grumbly with other dogs when they run at her, or even bark at her. She growled and snapped once at my neighbor's very rambunctious lab puppy because she was jumping on her and biting her face. As far as the bulldog pup goes I think it's just Dandi being a dog lol, I wouldn't worry to much about that. I've had the same problem with Syd about getting growly when I try and walk her by dogs and she wants to say hi, especially if their loose, not sure what it means really.

·
Registered
9,131 Posts
I wouldn't be worried.

my dog Kechara gets growly and snappy at dogs that get in her face too but she's not aggressive she just has a low tollerance for playful dogs. She is a very serious dog and she wont hesitate to tell another dog off.

She never trys to bite them and she never lunges or anything aggressive.

·
Registered
2,968 Posts
I wouldn't be worried.

my dog Kechara gets growly and snappy at dogs that get in her face too but she's not aggressive she just has a low tollerance for playful dogs. She is a very serious dog and she wont hesitate to tell another dog off.

She never trys to bite them and she never lunges or anything aggressive.
Icesis is the same way. She never starts fights or bites, but she will snarl if she is being pestered by an overly friendly dog if ignoring them doesn't work.

·
Registered
5,615 Posts
It's mostly normal to correct an overly rambunctious dog but it is a careful balance for you as the owner to ensure it doesn't become an issue over time. Dogs learn from each other and puppies do need to learn what is too much overthetop exuberance. This is what puppy socialization classes are for, puppies need to learn from other puppies and from PUPPY TOLERANT adults what is proper greeting behaviour. If you are concerned your dog is not puppy tolerant it is important for you to tell the puppy owners AND to not allow the other dog to bother yours. This means a quick nose and butt sniff and then stepping between them. If your dog knows you will handle the issue, he will not feel the need to do so. It is also helpful to puppy owners to educate them on the need for proper greeting and play behaviour to prevent isssues from developing with THEIR dog.

Dogs on leash know they cannot get away and this is where issues happen, leash greetings should necessarily be quick and you need to watch carefully for signs your dog is getting uncomfortable, ears back, head turns or lip licking are signs your dog is trying to tell the other dog to back off BEFORE the snap happens. This is where you step in. If an unleashed dog approaches yours while onleash, you have a couple of options. Step in before the other dog gets to you, drop the leash if it is safe to do so, keep the leash as loose tensioned as possible and ask the other owner to call their dog.

Dog aggression develops through repeated exposure to situations they cannot control without the reactions. If you don't give him the opportunity to be harrassed he will start to look to you for how to react.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts