Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 18 week old Welsh Terrier puppy. Most of the time she is sweet, but a few times a day she will display signs of aggression over various things. I would describe her as a confident puppy for the most part. She greets strangers just like any puppy would, extreme joy and jumping all over the place wagging her tail. Because of these signs, all along I've been thinking her aggression was due to trying to be pack leader. So when she would display these signs of aggression I would put her on her back and close her jaw until she calmed down. This usually only makes her more mad until she finally gives up and I let her go. I was reading more about this as it has been getting worse and I'm starting to think it might be the opposite -- fear aggression. Most of the time she doesn't have a problem with anyone petting her or anything, but its times such has her having something in her mouth she shouldn't have and I try to get her to drop it/take it out of her mouth that starts the aggression. Other times include picking her up when she doesn't want to be picked up and touching her when shes too wound up (whether its with a visitor in the room or another dog or just playing) When she displays these signs of aggression she often gets low to the ground, avoids eye contact with me when I'm telling her no, constant growling, snapping and biting, etc. The first two things listed are what make me think it is fear aggression.

So, these are the questions I have. Does this sound like fear aggression? If so, what is the best way to punish her when she starts to growl or bite without making the aggression worse? I have read that you should slowly put her in situations where she gets aggressive but approach with calmness and when she doesn't react violently then reward her. Thats all good and everything but what do you do when she DOES lash out? Not punish her at all or is there some method that can teach her not to do that while also not making the situation worse?

On a seperate note, she was 1 of only 2 puppies in her litter and the 1st had to be fed and cared for carefully as he was not a healthy weight. So she really only had her mom to teach her manners. I think this might have something to do with it. My girlfriend's black lab is wonderful with her, as he is very calm while she is jumping all over him and nipping at him trying to get him to play. But that is also not teaching her manners. When she gets around dogs around her size or smaller, she gets very energetic and they chase each other, but it ends up escalating and she gets too rough with the other dog. We have yet to find a dog that will put her in her place. If possible I would like some advice on how to properly socialize her in this situation as it is starting to get very late in her socialization process. Thanks in advance!

1 - 1 of 1 Posts