Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So yesterday Shema was fine, going to bathroom fine. Eating fine, playing etc...

This morning, she would try to go and stating whining loudly and obviously straining to go. This was at 3:30 am. My husband ended up calling in so we could take her to the vet. Called around and managed to find one that could get her in today asap.

They couldn't get her to go, but went ahead and gave me a prescription for Cefpodoxime 100mg 1 tablet every 24 hrs for 10 days. Has anyone every used this? Did it help?
I've never had a dog that had a UTI so this is a first for me.

On a side note, she has gained 11 lbs since we got her, she is now 28 lbs.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
After 2 days on the antibiotics, she has already improved.

Doesn't seem to be in pain anymore when going, and isn't straining as much to go either.

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
Some females have a recessed vulva which can retain moisture and encourage bacterial growth contributing to UTI. Is she spayed? If not, I would wait to spay here until after her first heat. This means she will develop an adult vulva which often "fixes" the situation. If spayed before her first heat and she has a recessed vulva after 1 year old, she may require an episioplasty surgery (sort of like a face lift of "the other end"). This surgery does not always help or it may help less as the dog gets into her senior years.

It is best to let your dog go through at least one heat cycle.. more if possible.. with spaying after 2 years of age and before 3 and a half unless the dog is a breeding prospect (few are).

·
Registered
7,374 Posts
Oh no! I hope I didn't jinx it with my UTI comment in your other thread... But I am glad to hear that she is feeling better with meds.

My pup had a UTI when he was tiny and it cleared really quickly with antibiotics. They weren't the kind your vet prescribed, and I forget the exact kind. I was also told that cranberry pills wouldn't hurt, but check with your vet on that. The thing to look out for is to make sure you recheck the urine after the course of antibiotics, and it doesn't hurt to recheck a few weeks or months later too, to make sure it isn't recurring.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Nah! I think it's just a big coincidence :)

It freaked me out when she started crying like she did, then i felt completely guilty because there wasn't much I could do at 3 am. I had to wait till the vet opened up. Then feeling frustrated because a vet we had been going to for awhile for our cats wouldn't work with us on payment since we were between checks this week ( payday was only 2 days later) Love my vet, he is awesome, but that was frustrating. Thankfully (after calling 3-4 vets) I found one by us that would work with what we had and could get us in immediately, so that was a major relief.

Thank you! :) I'm glad she is doing good too! She is definitely back to her total usual self! Spunky and crazy as ever :D
Getting her to take the pills is super easy, she inhales everything she can ( I swear I'm thinking of calling her Kirby lol) All I have to do is hold it and she gobbles it right from my hand.

I will get her checked out again for sure, I already have an appointment set up for her afterwards just to make sure.

I'll have to remember to ask about the cranberry pills. I'm super prone to UTI's myself, so I always have those on hand.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts