Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone thanks for taking the time to read this. Before i post i wanted to say I have 4 dogs they are all up to date on shots. i understand your answers are not a vets answer but i just need something till i can get to a vet i have know car my boyfriend has it!
thanks!

Ok now my question. I have a chihuahua male 5-6 months old 2 pounds.
2/12 months ago he has a episode were he looked very dizzy and couldnt control his head. His gums were white and he was drooling. Rush him to the er and they tested him for parvo and hypoclycemia(sp?) they cam out and said everything is fine he is stable nothing is wrong. did a fecal sample nothing at all!. we he has been perfectly fine growing being a booger. Until about 30 minute ago he was running around the house with my other small dog and i haerd him yelp so i called them thinking they were being to rough and he didnt come but yelp again. so i went to him and he was laying on his stomach looking very dizzy i picked him upad gave him nutical(bought it afer the last episode vet said possible sure drop) so i put some in his mouth and he slowly came back and was responding wagging his tail walking and gums slowly coming back to pink. he seems ok right now just laying by me and come are nice and pink. Now my question is... is it possible he has siezures because of how he yelped and was just laying there? he wasnt shaking or drooling this time.

any ideas. he will be going to the vet tonight i just need some advice! thanks so much!

Dog Mom Of 4 ♥​

·
Registered
10,534 Posts
It could be many things,I think the vet needs to do more tests and even then he may not be able to find the precise cause, especially if it's epilepsy or some other general seizure disorder.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hi thanks for replying. ya i may have to tell them to do more test. money is just a huge issue right now. its weird because now he is completly fine!

·
Registered
10,534 Posts
That often happens with epilepsy, diabetes (especially since you gave him the NutracaL) and hypoglycemia (which is the opposite of diabetes).

It is VERY common for small breeds (espcially those marketed as 'teacups') to have trouble regulating their blood sugar, which makes them prone to diabetes. That would be the first thing I'd want eliminated as a cause.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
is it possible the test was wrong for hypoclcemia? because they ested him on his last episode and it was negative. he was playing and running around the house for a long time maybe he needs more rest between play times? he doesnt run around the house much only when im home

·
Registered
10,534 Posts
Depends on what type of test, Hypoglycemia can only be caught when the blood sugar is actually low. In humans they do a Glucose Tolerance Test, which takes about 5 hours, to detect both Hypoglycemia and Diabetes. The subject is fasted first to establish a baseline blood draw, then the test subject drinks a glucose solution (a VERY sweet syrup) which will start the bodies reaction. In Hypoglycemic people the body releases too much insulin which will cause a drop in Blood Glucose an hour or two after ingestion.

I don't know how they test for Diabetes and Hypoglycemia in dogs, only in humans. Best advice is to talk to yor vet and if you don't feel the vet is doing their job or is blowing you off, find someone else that will listen to your concerns.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
DogMom - i think a fructose (sp?) test checks the last 2 weeks of blood sugar levels in dogs. You might want to ask your vet. I'm not sure where you live but I've paid $180 to get that test done. Good luck!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts