Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted a thread on here awhile back when my puppy got her bortedella shot (since she goes to puppy daycare Mon-Fri while I am at work it's required) and ended up getting kennel cough from that. I kept her home from daycare so she could rest & get better and wouldn't affect other dogs. She got better in about 4 days or so. This was back like Feb 22-26th lets say.

Then last week my poor pup got really sick, I think she might have caught a flu virus or ate and/or drank something bad because she had diarrhea for like 3 days straight (Apr 4-6). I called the vet Friday morning, they said to fast her for that day to give her tummy a rest, give her some Imodium (an anti diarrhea medicine), and the following day feed her only rice, the next followed by just chicken & rice, and then the 3rd day mix half chicken & rice with half her normal dog food, the 4th day back to straight dog food. I think she must have already been on the up turn when I called the vet because Sat she basically didn't poop at all & Sunday we were back to a fairly solid poop, and Monday was totally normal. She also had her appetite back and was acting like her usual self. Note that I kept her out of daycare Thurs - Mon.

I took her to the vet Monday because we had a scheduled appointment for her rabies shot. I reminded the vet of all the happenings and explained the schedule of things again and asked if it was okay that she still got her rabies shot. He took her temperature and looked her over and said she seemed fine and saw no reason to not be able to give her her rabies shot. So Monday night she got her rabies shot. Was I right in letting in the vet give her the shot or should I have asked him to reschedule for say next week?

So yesterday was the 1st day she was back to full dog food & the 1st day I let her go back to daycare. She seemed totally normal when I picked her up from daycare and ate her food all gone like usual. But about 4am I woke up to the poor thing throwing up in bed. Luckily I was able to grab her before she could eat the throw up. I don't know if this is a reaction to the rabies shot because she is still not fully recovered from being sick last week, or if it has something to do with being fully back on dog food & being at daycare all day.

I feel like my puppy just has a really weak immune system. Has anyone elses dog ever had a reaction to the rabies shot? Does anyone have any recommendations for something to give my pup to help boost her immune system? I give her baby carrots as a treat every now & then. And also just recently purchased these Blue Buffalo Anti-Oxident treats but was wondering if any of you had any recommendations. Sorry for the long post & thanks for any feedback. It's much appreciated and I just really want Riley to be healthy & strong.

·
Registered
583 Posts
To help the immune , Kuma'sMom recommended using Omega (fish) oils, powdered mushroom and acidophilus for one of my Redbonehounds with weak immune system. The dog is much better now and I still give supplements.

Check the sticky in general dog forum. >HiPet USA - Should My Dog Take a Supplement?<

oldhounddog

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
It's not indicative of a weak immune system, but bad reactions to the rabies vaccine are not uncommon at all. My old dog had a terrible reaction to his first rabies shot and that was that. He never had another. (Studies have shown that both 1 and 3 year rabies vaxxes can last a lifetime for most dogs.) My vet agreed with me on this, it wasn't just my idea.

You may want to do a google search on rabies vaccine reaction in dogs.

Now, that's not to say that any sickness after a rabies vax is a reaction to the vax. There is such a thing as a coincidence of time, i.e., he got his shot and then, completely unrelated, ate something bad or caught a bug. You want to speak to your vet before coming to any conclusions.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts