Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 8 year old basset hound just had a biopsy of an enlarged lymph node to see if she has Lymphoma - I am waiting for the results from the lab. The oncologist thought he would be able to tell us if it was lymphoma by looking at a smear of the node under his microscope but he said he couldn't tell cause it was too thick. He noted seeing some reactive lymphcytes. The results of a fine needle aspirate came back inconclusive. Her bloodwork came back normal except for a slight increase in her white blood cells. He says he is 99% sure it's lymphoma, but there is a 1% chance it's something else. Maybe I'm grasping at straws but from what I've just told you, can't it just be something else like an infection? He claims she would be stage 3 lymphoma based on her exam and xrays but if that were the case wouldn't her bloodwork be way off? Wouldn't the needle aspirate or him looking at the node smear show the cancer at that stage? She's on antibiotics and the nodes under her chin are much smaller now. Does anyone else have an experience with this type of situation?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Stay hopeful! If, however, it does come back positive for lymphoma and you can find a way to afford it...and the doctor recommends it, do the chemo. My dog had lymphoma, only she was diognosed at stage 4. When I found out, I had read someone's opinion of how ridiculous it is to put a dog through that after what it does to people. I probably don't have the advice you're looking for being that it's not diognosed as lymphoma, but if it is, they will recommend you act fast. I just wanted to comment and let you know that the chemo was not bad. She went in to remission and nobody woulda guessed she was going through it.
I do hope your dog just has some infection and will be fine, but feel free to ask more if it turns out otherwise. Best of luck to you and your buddy.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts