Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to the forum and thought I might get some help on determining if this stray I just picked up yesterday is a coyote/dog hybrid (commonly known as the coydog). I am already the owner of two rescue dogs I have had for six years. They are from what my best guess is a heeler/catahoula mix. Maybe some German shepherd....I just don't know. They are brother and sister out of the same litter. Anyway, back to my question about this stray....

I was at a baseball game (my nephew's) and watched someone drive up and let this animal out of their car and drive off. She was real friendly and was not causing a problem, but people were talking about putting her down or calling the animal control department. Knowing what that meant as far as this pup's fate....I quickly put her in my truck and drove home. I really can't handle another dog, but I couldn't let her be put down. I'm going to try and find her a home.

She slept most of the way home curled up on my seat. She looks to be younger based on her teeth. Overall, she looks healthy with the exception of some scabs and being covered in fleas and ticks. I bathed her when we got home (she hated it) and pulled all her ticks off. She cleaned up nicely. I have introduced her to my dogs and they have welcomed her into the "pack" to my surprise. They are usually dog aggressive. I have yet to hear her bark and she is overall a VERY sweet dog. I had her on my chest last night while I was laying on the couch and we fell asleep. My two dogs were close by and when I woke up....I had three dogs on me asleep. Anyway, I just can't get over the fact she looks like a possible hybrid to me. I'm going to try to post a pic on here to get some of y'alls opinions as to whether or not she is a coyote mix or not. She does have the nipples that poke out, so I believe she has had puppies...right? As skinny as she is, I don't believe she is pregnant now....but who knows. I plan on taking her to the vet soon, but am afraid of them determining that she is a coyote hybrid. The law supposedly is that these must be put down with no exception and are actually illegal to own. I'm worried what the vet will say if he thinks she is a hybrid.

Like I said, she is very cute and sweet. She has whined some, but has yet to bark. She just slept on the floor under my coffee table last night and looked like she is making herself at home. She is much more relaxed today and if you didn't know better, you would think I have had her for awhile.

Let me know what you think....

·
Registered
569 Posts
I'm not an expert, nor do I play one on TV. But to me, this looks like a German Shepherd/Lab cross. Adorable, whatever she is! Thanks for being there for her!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, I can see the German shepherd because she looks similar to the dogs I have already. I'm not to sure about the lab part. It's hard to tell in the pictures, but she is so narrow featured.

I couldn't leave her there. Anyone who is interested in adopting, please let me know.

·
Registered
3,504 Posts
She looks like a mutt to me! Where are you located? It may help. People can point you towards rescue or if someone is interested.

·
Registered
3,504 Posts
yeah, I would go with a mutt. you can see if there are any all breed rescues in your area. maybe say you will foster her but you need help finding her a home?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
There is one called "CARA". It is a no kill shelter and Me and my girlfriend made a donation of food, bowls, treats, cleaning supplies, etc last christmas. They have so many dogs there, but it would be an option should she become a nuisance and we can't find her a home. What am I saying.....she is so sweet....I'm afraid she might join the pack if I can't find her a good home.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the input. Now that she is getting used to being here and I have had more time to look at her....I'm seeing more mutt too and less coyote. She still has yet to bark and if she hears another dog in the neighborhood bark....she perks up and gets nervous. Supposedly, coydogs can't bark and can only whine and let out a kindof howl.

I just hope she is not pregnant with those nipples protruding like that. Never have experienced a pregnant dog, so I don't know what to look for. I do have a stethoscope (her heart sounds fine btw), is it possible to put it on the belly and hear puppy heartbeats? Please excuse my ignorance here.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
She is cute. Thanks for saying so. If you know of anyone interested in giving this sweet girl a good home....please let me know.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
She appears house broken and is fine on a leash (better than my two others actually). Hasn't learned her name yet and doesn't seem to know simple stuff like "sit", but I will take house broken over a trick any day.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Some more updates....

She is absolutely great with other dogs. Very submissive. My female is the alpha and we have had no incidents of anything going wrong. Btw....she apparantly likes diet coke. She just knocked over my can and proceeded to try and lick it up. Anyway, she seemed to have a slight limp sometimes when she walked, but I thought it might be her really long nails that was causing it. I gave her a trim and she seems better. Her gum color looks great and her teeth are really clean and white which makes me think she is young. My 6 year old dogs don't have teeth that nice. Either this pup has had teeth cleanings regularly....or is just pretty young.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
As far as the pregnancy question....I read some posts on here that said that people can hear the heartbeats between 3 to 9 days from delivery. I am also seeing that ultrasounds can confirm at three weeks, but I have seen nothing about a test as good as we have as people. Something like the urine test.

I thought there was some way to tell right away. I'm saying this because as a child, we had a Boykin spaniel that was a stud in two planned litters with another Boykin. The first time....he spent a week there before he "figured out" what to do. The second time....he was back that same day. I don't remember how the female's owner knew so quickly that he had succeeded in knocking her up.

I believe that dog pregnancies should be planned and only in circumstances where purebreds are being produced. It is extremely irresponsible of an owner not to have your dog spayed or neutered. Then it comes to cases like mine....a stray comes into your home and shows up pregnant. You gotta do what you gotta do and the sooner I can find out exactly what to expect out of Maggie, the better.

I know the vet will be able to tell me, but I'm just trying to see what I can find out before that time. My usual vet is on vacation and won't be home until next week....so I will be waiting until at least then.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts