Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Kennedy, the cavalier in my sig, recently had an eye infection. It was treated by a vet. He said that it could be caused by anything from dust to a twig. Who knows?

Recently her owner(my old roommate) has suspected that her vision is getting worse and she is struggling to see farther away. I've always thought that she had poor(ish) vision.

What could be possible causes for worsening vision in an otherwise healthy three year old dog?

My mind automatically jumped to the worst conclusion, that she's a Cavalier and Oh No, the end is near. Though she is still heart murmur free!

Does anybody have experience with Pike Preventative Eye Drops for Worsening Vision in Dogs? It's something I want to look into but I don't think that can or should be done without a trip to the vet.

·
Registered
350 Posts
I highly recommend that your friend get her dog to a veterinary opthamologist. You are correct, don't put anything in your dog's eyes without discussing it with your vet first.

·
Registered
19,018 Posts
I know they are screened for PRA like papillons are. That would be my first thought.

·
Registered
85 Posts
How is her night vision in a strange environment? I also thought my schnauzer/poodle mix had a difficult time seeing long distances. Then I started to notice at night, if there was no light in the room and a new moon, he would miss the bed when he tried to jump in it. I brought it up to the vet and he referred us to a vet ophthalmologist. He was diagnosed with Progressive Retinal Atrophy (or PRA). It could also be something totally treatable or something like a cornea scratch.

I would definitely go to the vet before doing anything so they can look at what the untreated eye looks like to make the appropriate diagnosis.

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the feedback guys.

PRA was one of my first thoughts too. She's from a MO puppy mill so diddly squat for health testing in her pedigree.

She has an appointment with a veterinary opthamologist. I was hoping that it's just temporary backlash from her recent eye infection. :/

1 - 6 of 6 Posts