Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We adopted our dog from a local animal shelter. He is a hound mix. He is currently 9 months old and we adopted him when he was 6 months old. He and some littermates were taken out of a house where his previous owner used to punch them in the face with numerous rings on his hands to attempt to make them mean (virtually impossible with hounds anyway!). He has permanent lumps on his head from this. He walks into things, he will walk straight into walls, etc.
I bring this up because he doesn't seem to pick up any of the training we have been giving him. He constantly is going to the bathroom on our floor, gives no signs or indications he has to go out and go, he jumps up on the counters and eats food off them, jumps on people. I know these are all typical puppy acts but nothing seems to stick. We will squirt him with a water bottle and he will continue to do what he did to get squirted another 10-15 times.
Is there anyone here with experience in this arena?

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
So you've had him for three months? Have you tried positive reinforcement training? The poor guy sounds like he's had enough negative. Have you gone to a training class with him?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, that is what we are trying the most. It makes me feel bad to yell at him, and we certainly don't hit him. When we find him going to the bathroom, we say his name to stop him mid-stream, we take him outside where he should be going and then praise him and give him treats when he goes outside. Yet he still has at least 3-4 accidents a day.

·
Registered
12,574 Posts
We adopted our dog from a local animal shelter. He is a hound mix. He is currently 9 months old and we adopted him when he was 6 months old. He and some littermates were taken out of a house where his previous owner used to punch them in the face with numerous rings on his hands to attempt to make them mean (virtually impossible with hounds anyway!). He has permanent lumps on his head from this. He walks into things, he will walk straight into walls, etc.
I bring this up because he doesn't seem to pick up any of the training we have been giving him. He constantly is going to the bathroom on our floor, gives no signs or indications he has to go out and go, he jumps up on the counters and eats food off them, jumps on people. I know these are all typical puppy acts but nothing seems to stick. We will squirt him with a water bottle and he will continue to do what he did to get squirted another 10-15 times.
Is there anyone here with experience in this arena?
I unfortunately do have experience with dog that have had head trauma from abuse. One was used as bait for dog fighters and she had a lump the size of a grapefruit on her head when I first got her. I currently have one that came to me with a broken jaw (partially healed) and a severely damaged hind leg. He seems a little simple but he is a great dog.
As far as potty training them, I would keep him in a crate when you are away and keep him tied to you while you are there so you can watch him. He shouldn't be unattended at any point in the house until he is reliably trained.
As far as jumping, teach him to sit for petting. You can do this by simply turning your back on him when he jumps, cross your arms and ignore him. When he stops jumping, turn back toward him and CALMLY praise him with a pet. I would suggest some dog classes for him and you. Great way to bond and good mental exercise for your dog.

·
Registered
9,307 Posts
I unfortunately do have experience with dog that have had head trauma from abuse. One was used as bait for dog fighters and she had a lump the size of a grapefruit on her head when I first got her. I currently have one that came to me with a broken jaw (partially healed) and a severely damaged hind leg. He seems a little simple but he is a great dog.
As far as potty training them, I would keep him in a crate when you are away and keep him tied to you while you are there so you can watch him. He shouldn't be unattended at any point in the house until he is reliably trained.
As far as jumping, teach him to sit for petting. You can do this by simply turning your back on him when he jumps, cross your arms and ignore him. When he stops jumping, turn back toward him and CALMLY praise him with a pet. I would suggest some dog classes for him and you. Great way to bond and good mental exercise for your dog.
I sure don't like that walking into walls I sure would have him examined for eye damage. The rest of the stuff sounds well within the stupid silly stuff dogs starting their teen age years are capable of. Dogs normally just don't walk into walls. Inga's got all other stuff covered. Thank you for rescuing this rascal and good luck with him.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts