Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know no one can answer this with a DEFINITE answer, but I would like to get some opinions.

Yesterday night and this morning I gave both my dogs some raw chicken quarters. Well, Killian now has a bunch of bumps all over his back. They're mosquito bite-sized. They aren't red, and don't have any discharge but he seems more itchy.

His food also has chicken meal in it, but I was wondering if the raw could be causing worse problems for him?

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
I've had a lot of dogs with allergies, and I can't say I've ever seen that. I wonder if he actually did get into a mosquito (or other bug) nest. I guess all you can do is wait a while and try again. . .and if it happens again you'll have your answer. For now, if he's itchy you can give him a Benedryl, 1 mg per pound.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
He has been inside all day, except for potty breaks because of the bumps, and he is never outside alone, so no bugs for him. I gave him 1, 25mg Benedryl, which is less than the 1mg per pound, but I want to see if it even helps at all, first.

Thank you for the reply! =]

I've had a lot of dogs with allergies, and I can't say I've ever seen that. I wonder if he actually did get into a mosquito (or other bug) nest. I guess all you can do is wait a while and try again. . .and if it happens again you'll have your answer. For now, if he's itchy you can give him a Benedryl, 1 mg per pound.

·
Registered
400 Posts
I highly doubt it was the chicken quarters. Most dogs that have a chicken allergy are fine on raw chicken. Duke got hives when he was a puppy and they sound like what your pup might have. Hives are most often an outside allergy reaction. Duke got them after he went through brush on a hike. Could you think of anything he might've done like that?

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
It could be the chicken if it was enhanced. Check on the back label, the sodium should be less than 100mg per 4oz serving.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
He hasn't walked anywhere that we normally don't. Can dogs get hive from stress like humans? I can't think of any reason he would be stressed, either but I suppose that it could be the issue.

I highly doubt it was the chicken quarters. Most dogs that have a chicken allergy are fine on raw chicken. Duke got hives when he was a puppy and they sound like what your pup might have. Hives are most often an outside allergy reaction. Duke got them after he went through brush on a hike. Could you think of anything he might've done like that?
It's 75mg per 4oz serving. My other dog doesn't have any of the spots, either so I am guessing it's an allergy to something.

It could be the chicken if it was enhanced. Check on the back label, the sodium should be less than 100mg per 4oz serving.

·
Registered
400 Posts
You might want to try soaking the chicken and rinsing it before you feed it. You want less than 100 mg per 4 oz, but some dogs can't take any enhancement.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts