Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think I may be over reacting but I guess it never hurts to ask. Saturday we took our 12 week old Australian cattle dog, Murray to a friends place. There were three other dogs there who we know quite well. Everyone was getting along just great until Murray found a toy. He stood over it barking and snapping at the other dogs whenever they came near him. He does bark a lot when he plays but this time he had some real attitude. I took the toy away, he has no problem with people taking things from him but it seems like he might have an issue sharing with other dogs. Any suggestions as to how I can correct this now before it gets out of hand? Or am I just over reacting?

·
Banned
6,240 Posts
This is normal for many dogs... Keep the toys out of reach while you're there. It's easier to manage than anything and it'll ensure that all dogs will be okay.

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
Kabota will let me take a bone from his mouth as he is eating it, but if another dog gets within 10' of him, he starts snarling and snapping. It's totally normal.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Kabota will let me take a bone from his mouth as he is eating it, but if another dog gets within 10' of him, he starts snarling and snapping. It's totally normal.
If you have a good relationship with your dog like most of us do, they'll let you take almost anything from them because we usually give it back, replace it, or trade up. There's really no risk. When is the last time you've seen a dog play "trade up" with another dog without stealing a high value item?

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have 2 dogs (4months old) and they used to be like that with each other but now they play together (except when it comes to bones or snacks). Maybe you should set up some puppy play dates to get it used to other dogs and sharing.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks all :) he will be/ has been getting lots of interaction with dogs we know. He has been doing better.

·
Premium Member
8,890 Posts
He is an ACD..... They think they own the world.... Merlin will put elk antlers, cat food bowls, water bowls, etc in a pile.... He doesn't want any of them. Just does not want the other critters to have them.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts