Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a dog (lab/ great Pyrenees) she will be a year in January and has recently gotten possessive over toys but not food. She doesn't want to chew them or even sit with them, she just doesn't want our other dog (2yr old lab/shepherd) to have them, we can take anything from her without her reacting more then a "what-the-hell" look. She started out VERY timid and still is in a lot of situations, like on garbage day she is scared of 90% of the garbage cans.

Over christmas we went to my inlaws and their dog is very dominant, and got VERY snappy with our dog which almost led to a dog fight, multiple times. I will admit that proper introductions weren't made because my in-laws weren't co-operative, and I think the possessiveness is getting worse since then.

Any advice how to stop it since she doesn't hold onto the toys?

·
Registered
469 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Here are a couple of good articles on the subject of dog-dog resource guarding:

https://www.whole-dog-journal.com/issues/14_10/features/Resource-Guarding-Behavior-Modification_20368-1.html
https://clickertraining.com/node/3339

My best advice to avoid RG in a dog? Make absolutely certain that the dog never feels that they *have* to guard their 'stuff' from another dog. Protect them, make sure that other dogs are kept at bay & aren't allowed to hover or steal.
Thank you BKaymuttleycrew! I haven't really noticed weather or not the other dog has been hovering but I will definitely watch for it. And thank you for the links!

·
Registered
8,384 Posts
I did group games... One toy or two toys multiple dogs.. and you teach about taking turns one dog has to give and wait, then you do an approriate level play with the dog that was waiting. I had high prey GSD's so we didn't start the training by throwing the ball it was more of a give,, or small motion toss.. if you have really intense dog.. after they give the toy.. give them the second toy to have to hold.. while they wait.. you determine spacing from each other. Main thing is evaluate your individual dogs needs to be able to be calm and successful and start off short enough time length and your done ... each gets their favorite toy to end the session..

I had to laugh about the trash cans on trash day.. Traveled to my dads house and had been walking the dogs every evening around the block.. One night everyone had put out their trash and my one Male was freaked out not to want to go that way.. he made it but it made me laugh

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Patricia! I will give the games a try.

Ha ha its crazy the things that are surely going to murder our poor furry friends lol

1 - 5 of 5 Posts