Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
468 Posts
Reading some threads now. Just so you don't think I'm over here pushing my dog to the ground every 5 minutes...We taught her all tricks and commands with positive reinforcement (treats) and only make her lay on her side extremely rarely when she is doing something we considered aggressive. It was kind of her punishment. Now that I'm reading about it here, I'm having some regrets for even doing it those few times.

Thanks again for the reply, I'm glad to know it was her being agressive!
It wasn't aggression. Aggression is different from resource guarding. And I agree about the alpha stuff, even as "punishment", it isn't a good idea. Like in the wild, when a dog is getting alpha rolled it can mean they are about to be fought and killed, which can instill great fear in a dog. Instead of punishing a dog you should redirect and show them what you want them to do instead. They don't know you are punishing them, all they know is that "mom" is mad now. Next time you need to take something, "trade up" and offer something tasty in return for the bone. At night when it is time for the bully sticks to be put up (chew toy made out of beef), I give a little treat in return for the stick. I distract them with the treat, and while they are eating the treat I take the bully. I break the treat up really tiny and spread it out so I have time to take the stick away.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.