Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
Our Portie is 5 month old and very energetic. We have went through basic training and does very well for the most part. One issue I have is he walks nicely on the leash for awhile and then seems to get a burst of energy where he runs to the end of his leash pulling and then jolts the other direction doing the same thing. I usually just stop and let him go crazy till he calms down. It seems like he forgets everything that he has been taught. The second issue with the walk is that he will walk fine for a while then grab the leash and chew on it. I usually just try and keep walking but it is very hard on the leash, and on my arm....
Any suggestions on making our walks more pleasant?
Thanks!

·
Registered
8,384 Posts
:) that would be my Adele when we started out on both counts I refer to it as dancing.. :) ... for me it was her frustration at being on a lead . did what you are doing just wait and only move forward when she was done.. And I stared adding jogging/walking during our outings about 20 second of jog to 2 minute walks and added a 25ft long line of loose leash walking to rotate our walks on the regular lead with... she grew out of it..

·
Registered
3,900 Posts
yes mine now only does that at the beginning of our on leash walks-- she grabs the leash and walks on her hind legs she is saying lets gooooo...... I redirect her and get moving and she settles down and is walking nicely once some of her energy is released....

·
Registered
12,194 Posts
My Welshie did both of those things are the same age. Totally normal! For the zoomies, I would just wait him out, or try to get his attention with a toy or something. For the leash biting, I would work on a "leave it" and/or "drop it" cue.

Not sure what you're using for collar or harness, but a front clip harness like the Easy Walk limits their pulling during the crazy moments.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
I agree, completely normal behavior that puppies (usually) grow out of as they practice more loose leash walking. Good luck!

·
Registered
458 Posts
Hi,
Our Portie is 5 month old and very energetic. We have went through basic training and does very well for the most part. One issue I have is he walks nicely on the leash for awhile and then seems to get a burst of energy where he runs to the end of his leash pulling and then jolts the other direction doing the same thing. I usually just stop and let him go crazy till he calms down. It seems like he forgets everything that he has been taught. The second issue with the walk is that he will walk fine for a while then grab the leash and chew on it. I usually just try and keep walking but it is very hard on the leash, and on my arm....
Any suggestions on making our walks more pleasant?
Thanks!
Welcome to Portie-land.
All that sounds very typical for the breed.

Keep calm and don't
lose your sense of humour.

It won't last forever...
He'll eventually
start to settle down.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts