Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well my dog was coughing for a while, we didn't know why so we brought her to the vet, she is half Pomeranian and half Poodle, she is 11 years old, the vet said she is coughing because she is over weight, she is 15 pounds and should be more around 11 pounds, and the fat around her throat is actually pushing on her soft esophagus, causing her to cough. The vet told us we should feed her science diet light, and we are doing that, but my mother messed up and bought like 14 cans of the adult kind witch is for dogs 1 - 6 years old, we could bring it back maybe and get science diet senior, but my mother refuses to, I bring my dog for a walk a day, on the back of the can it say for a dog around 11 pounds to feed 3/4 - 1 can a day but i am not sure it is correct, my dog did lose a pound her first week on it, but she has gained it back. What do you think the portion's should be for my dog, and should I be walking her twice daily?

·
Banned
749 Posts
Call and ask the vet who said the dog was overweight for the amount. The science diet lite is a reduced calorie food. Also the reason the vet recommended science diet is because most vets have that in their office but usually the prescription formula. It's all they know is science diet which is not the best food to begin with.

The one thing you want to do is find out the total amount per day and then halve that. make it a feeding in the morning and a feeding in the evening. Also get the dog more exercise than you are doing now to help shed the pounds.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts