Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Safe? Are they on the same scale as bully sticks (safe), or rawhide/cow's ears (unsafe, can cause blockages)?

I'd think Pork Heart would be OK, since it's composed purely of muscle, like the bully sticks.

The trachea, I'm not sure of...

Anyone heard of these?

·
Registered
6,437 Posts
I believe tracheas are pretty good chews, but have never given them.

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
Penises hearts and trachea's. The things we give our dogs xD

I don't thing they'd be anything like rawhides, but they look sorta breaky, like they would break off and crunch.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I gave Belle a pork heart. Turns out it isn't a "chew" so much as a big treat. Would have been completely gone in 10 minutes if I let her keep it. The parts she broke off were small, not sure how it would be with a big dog though.

·
Registered
11,343 Posts
I'd say heart and trachea are both safe to eat because I've eaten both from a sheep :)

Sometimes you can get offal from old fashioned butcher shops or especially ethnic markets that have a butcher (Asian markets and some Mexican/Latin markets most commonly) and dehydrate your own treats. They'd end up less as chewies and more as treats but the dogs will go nuts for them.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Yes, dried pork heart is a treat, not a long-lasting chew. My dogs love it.

Beef tracheas are safe and can be stuffed with something else, but they do not last very long.

Dried beef tendons (Merrick "doggie wishbones") are another good option, they are longer lasting than tracheas but don't last as long as bully sticks.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, I gave Belle the trachea, and it's actually lasting quite a while. Definitely not crunching off like the heart did. It's gumming up on the corners - not as much as a bully stick does, but still enough to make it fairly long-lasting. If Belle was 50x bigger, it wouldn't last. But being 5 pounds, I think it'll tide her over for two days at least.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts